So I’ve been asked a number of times on Twitter and on Facebook about which iPhone 6 I’ll be upgrading to from my iPhone 5S. Here are some tweets from some of my Twitter friends below. This post will explain in detail why I’ll be upgrading to the iPhone 6 Plus.
@mr_gadget what a collection Arnold! Are u getting the 6 plus? I’m planning to get one too next Fri. Are they cheaper in HK?
— Jen (@twittey888) September 12, 2014
The answer (as you can deduce from some of the tweets above) is that I’ll be (eventually) upgrading to the iPhone 6 Plus. Here’s my list of reasons that I I hope will also aid those still trying to decide which one to get:
- Larger 5.5″ 1920-by-1080-pixel display : I also have a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I really grew accustomed to this screen size. Going back to the smaller iPhone 5S was always a shock. I found the larger size useful for viewing and editing photos – I’m a huge @instagram fan. This year I’ve also read more @amazonkindle books than ever before (around 19 now) on my iPad Mini Retina, so keen to see if I can read effectively on the iPhone 6 Plus screen. If it’s good enough, I’ll do away with my iPad Mini.
- Optical Image Stabilisation : As mentioned above, I’m really into @instagram – I find it an easy medium to practice creativity and improve my photography skills on a daily basis. The iPhone, in my own tests, has always had the best camera and now with OIS this will mean even better indoor shots!
- Larger Battery and hopefully better battery life: It’s no secret that battery life on the iPhone 5 and 5S was terrible. Given the amount of social media and the fact that I’m running enterprise mail app “Good”, my battery would drains faster than the average user. While the mAh of the iPhone 6 Plus hasn’t been revealed official by Apple, sources say that it will have approximately 3,000 mAh capacity. This is about double the capacity of the iPhone 5S. Coupled with the new more power efficient A8 processor, we should expect significant improvements in talk and standby times. The Apple site states that you’ll be able to get more than double the talktime (24 hours) on the iPhone 6 Plus compared to the iPhone 5S (10 hours).
The iPhone 6 Plus will be my 7th iPhone! Time flies…
This will be my (3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S) 7th iPhone so I’m keen to finally get my hands on the design that strays from Jobs thumb-width design. And yes, thank you Samsung & LG for experimenting with the larger screens which it seems consumers have grown to love.
Here’s the iPhone 6 Plus features list below which summarises its main features. To get a comparison of the latest iPhones head on down to the Apple website.
Summary of iPhone 6 Plus features:
- 5.5″ 1920-by-1080-pixel IPS 401 ppi display
- Sapphire crystal lens cover
- A8 64-bit micro processor
- M8 motion coprocessor featuring barometer
- 8 Megapixel 1.5µ pixels f 2.2 aperture rear camera with slow-motion and timelapse capabilities
- 1.2 megapixel f 2.2 aperture front camera
- TouchID fingerprint security
- Near Field Communication (NFC)
- iOS 8 mobile operating system
- Dimensions: 158.1mm (H) x 77.9mm (W) x 7.1mm (D)
- Weight: 172 grams
Which iPhone 6 are you thinking about getting? Was your list of reasons similar to mine?