I was surprised to see that there were over 2,000 people following me on @instagram on the weekend (my username is @mr_gadget). This is one of my favourite iPhone apps because it forces me to use my creative muscle everytime I use it. Creativity is so underrated these days. I try not to just post every thing I’m about to devour but rather focus on sharing bits of my life that I think are interesting or inspiring. The above is a recent @instagram I took that people seem to be drawn to.
One other aspect I like about @instagram is that I’m able to very quickly, visually, see what all my friends (who are using it) are up to in their day. It also gives me the opportunity to like their good photos. Let’s face it, it’s nice to get some recognition regarding your photos from friends and strangers. I’ve been using it for over a year now and enjoy the community aspect of it too which is why I wrote this post.
Here are some very simple ways to increase your followership and exposure on @instagram:
9 Tips On How To Get More Followers On Instagram
1. Update your profile to include a photo of yourself – make sure it’s a good / interesting shot
2. Tell the world something about yourself. What camera you use and your purpose for being on Instagram
3. Post regularly – once a day so people will come back knowing that you’ll have more cool photos ready for them
4. Tell a story with your photos – ask yourself “Is this interesting enough to share?”
5. Comment and like generously – if you see something you like, leave a comment on why you like it and press the love heart
6. Use hash tags – these often describe and categories your photos
7. Take a look at the popular page from time to time and learn from the pros – try to apply similar filters, tilt-shift and cropping to your photos too
8. Share through all the social media channels – Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, Flickr
9. Join a #photoaday meme such as the one run by @fatmumslim
Remember the whole point of it is to exercise your creative muscle and be part of a community that appreciates great photos. Don’t just join @instagram just to sell your product or service – you can normally tell the posers from the real ones quite easily.
Most importantly, have fun!
Hope these tips help. (Add me – @mr_gadget)