A few days ago, I posted my quick review on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. In short, it’s a superb phone (in my opinion 2011′s best) however one of its major downsides is its battery life. Thankfully there has been an improvement in battery time when compared with the Samsung Galaxy S 2 out of the box, yet when using it with my normal operational style, I found the battery only lasted till around 1pm (fully charged at 7am). This is totally unacceptable in this day and age of what are supposed to be power-efficient dual core processors and higher capacity lithium ion batteries!
Good news though – you CAN get decent battery life with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus after all. I have recently been able to squeeze out around 10 hours of battery life (active use) by applying some very simple battery saving configuration changes.
Below is the list of 19 battery saving tips that I have put together for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
19 Battery Saving Tips for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus:
- Check what’s draining your battery most : Settings > Device > Battery
- Reduce Screen Brightness : Settings > Device > Display > Brightness > Reduce Brightness by sliding to left
- Turn Off Pulse Light : Settings > Device > Display > Untick Pulse notification light
- Turn Off Animated Wallpapers : Settings > Device > Display > Wallpapers > Select one of the eleven static wallpapers instead of a Live Wallpaper
- Disable Background Data syncing : Settings > Personal > Accounts & sync > Slide Off Sync
- Reduce Screen Timeout Interval : Settings > Device > Display > Sleep > Reduce to less than 1 min (15 seconds minimum)
- Turn Vibrate Notification off : Settings > Device > Sound > Vibrate > Select Never
- Turn Off System Touch sounds : Settings > Device > Sound > System > Untick Dial Pad Touch Tones & Touch sounds
- Turn Off Haptic feedback : Settings > Device > Sound > System > Untick Vibrate on touch
- Turn Off Location Services: Settings > Personal > Location services > Untick all options
- Turn Off WiFi : Settings > Wireless & Networks > Slide Off WiFi
- Turn Off Bluetooth : Settings > Wireless & Networks > Slide Off Bluetooth
- Turn Off NFC : Settings > Wireless & Networks > More… > Untick NFC
- Turn Off Android Beam : Settings > Wireless & Networks > More… > Android Beam > Slide Off Beam
- Turn Off Tethering & Hotspot : Settings > Wireless & Networks > More… > Tethering & portable hotspot > Untick Portable WiFi Hotspot & Bluetooth tethering
- Use Only 2G Networks : Settings > Wireless & Networks > More… > Mobile network settings > Tick Use only 2G networks
- Turn Off Mobile Data : Settings > Wireless & Networks > Data usage > Slide Off Mobile Data
- Disable Unnecessary Running services : Settings > Device > Apps > Running Services > Select and Stop any apps that you are not using
- Customise Data Options of Individual Apps : normally in Setting options of each app. Change intervals / frequency of data pulls or disable background syncing altogether. Pay attention to Twitter clients, RSS apps and mail especially.
I hope this list gets you a couple more hours of play time with your Samsung Galaxy Nexus! Please feel free to share this with your friends and family who own one of these sexy phones.
If you have any more tips / advice to help other Nexus owner please add a comment below!
Latest posts by Arnold Aranez (see all)
- Transformers 4 : Age of Extinction Trailer - March 10, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced at MWC 2014 - February 25, 2014
- Samsung “Unpacked” Event Mobile World Congress (MWC) Barcelona Tomorrow - February 24, 2014