Remember how I told you that the Samsung Galaxy S II could quite possibly be 2011′s best Android smartphone? Well if you’re in Australia, as of next month, you’ll be able to test out this theory for yourself! Samsung Australia have just formally announced that the super slim and dual-core wielding Samsung Galaxy S II will be available via all major Australian carriers from the month of June.
I’m sorry I couldn’t attend the Samsung launch event in person, but I was there jumping up and down in spirit.
Note to Telstra: if there was any device you should’ve haggled hard to secure exclusivity on, this was the one! Premium handset with premium network = epic win.
If you end up getting one, please consider protecting your screen with a Samsung Galaxy S II Screen Protector.
Are you getting a Samsung Galaxy S II?
Samsung Galaxy S II Australia Press Release
Tags: samsung, Samsung Australia, Samsung Galaxy S 2, Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S II Availability Australia, Samsung Galaxy S II Press Release Australia, Samsung Galaxy S II Release Australia
SYDNEY, Australia – May 27, 2011 – Samsung Electronics Australia today launched its new flagship Android™- powered smartphone, the Samsung GALAXY S II. Running on Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread, the latest version of the world’s number one smartphone operating system, the new Samsung GALAXY S II raises the bar in performance, design and viewing experience.
At just 8.49mm thin, with a powerful 1.2GHz Dual Core processor and a 4.3” Super AMOLED Plus touchscreen display, the Samsung GALAXY S II smartphone marks a significant evolution from the original Samsung GALAXY S.
At launch, the Samsung GALAXY S II will offer exclusive access to a range of services such as free turn-by-turn navigation from NAVIGON, Samsung Apps, Kies Air, Samsung Dive, Game Hub, Readers Hub and Social Hub. The company announced that a fourth music-based hub will also launch soon.
“Following on from the outstanding success of the GALAXY S smartphone, which has sold a record 14 million units globally to date, we are excited to unveil our new flagship smartphone,” said Tyler McGee, VP of Telecommunications, Samsung Electronics Australia. “We believe the GALAXY S II is the smartest of smartphones on the Australian market. Its sophisticated hardware features deliver first class connectivity and app experiences.”
Access to local apps
The Samsung GALAXY S II provides access to a range of apps both pre-loaded on the device or delivered through Samsung Apps. Samsung continues to invest in Samsung Apps, working closely with local developers to provide relevant and unique app experiences optimised for its smartphones and tablets. Some examples include:
- NAVIGON: Samsung’s partnership with NAVIGON delivers premium navigation free to GALAXY S II customers. The latest version of the NAVIGON app launches today with features that outperform most dedicated personal navigation devices on the market. Some of the new features include preloaded maps for Australia and New Zealand with free updates every three months, Clever Parking which displays parking options when nearing your destination and Last Mile, which combines driving and pedestrian navigation to take you right to your destination (and back to your car). Additional premium functions, such as Safety Cameras and Live Traffic, can also be purchased as packages in the app, via the Shop icon.
- Good Food Guide: As the exclusive Android™ partner, Samsung today announced that The Age and Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide apps are now available to all Samsung GALAXY devices through Samsung Apps. One of the unique benefits to Samsung GALAXY device owners is a free 30 day trial that is not available on any other smartphone.
- Second TV: An exciting new app that a company like Samsung can deliver to consumers – currently scheduled to be released in Samsung Apps in June. Working with the new Samsung SMART TV, this app allows users to stream the content playing on the SMART TV wirelessly to their GALAXY S II over a home Wi-Fi network. You can even control the SMART TV via the phone and change volume and channels! Additionally, the app allows you to view different content on the phone to what is being played on the SMART TV. So, for example, someone can be watching free-to-air TV on the SMART TV while on your GALAXY S II you can watch a Blu-ray movie.
The Samsung GALAXY S II brings upgrades to the two popular integrated hubs featured on the GALAXY Tab 7.0 – Readers Hub and Social Hub. The GALAXY S II is also the premium handset on which Samsung will launch another new content hub – Game Hub – an easy way to download and play Social Networking and HD quality games.
- Social Hub™ Premium: Samsung’s powerful free messaging service helps users communicate with who they want, how they want. Now with support for LinkedIn and a new, improved user interface, users will be able to connect via Facebook and Twitter more easily than ever.
- Readers Hub™: Carry an enormous library of books, magazines and newspapers on-the-go. Powered by Kobo, Press Reader and Zinio, Samsung Readers Hub provides over 2.2 million e-books, 2,000 global and local newspapers in 49 languages and 2,300 popular magazines in 22 languages. Locally, Pacific Magazines’ stable of titles has recently joined the catalogue on offer.
- Game Hub™: The easiest way to download and play best-in-class mobile games is with Samsung’s Game Hub. Launching with nine free Social Network Games from Ngmoco and 11 Premium HD Games from Gameloft not available on Android™ Market, this catalogue is expected to increase five fold by the end of the year with new gaming partners coming on board. Combining great hardware such as a Gyroscope sensor, unrivalled 1.2Ghz Dual Core processing power and the most vibrant display in the market with a unique try and buy feature from Gameloft, the Samsung GALAXY S II sets a new standard in gaming.
Smart connections and security
With much personal information available at your fingertips on your phone, it is important for consumers to feel confident in device security. Beyond inbuilt encryption and password protection, Samsung announced today it is launching Samsung Dive (www.samsungdive.com) in Australia.
Samsung Dive is a free remote find, lock and wipe service which offers complete peace of mind if you ever lose your phone. By logging onto the Samsung Diver website, you can locate your missing phone and remotely make sure no one else can get access to your private data or use the phone itself. To use the free Samsung Dive service you simply need to sign up for a Samsung account.
Samsung Dive offers seven key features including remote lock (for which you need a password to unlock your phone after it is activated), remote wipe (that removes all user data from the phone), automatically receive a notification to any number when your phone’s SIM card is changed and finally, view the location of your phone, whether the phone’s GPS setting is on or off.
Also available for the launch of the Samsung GALAXY S II is Kies 2.0 and Kies Air. Kies 2.0 is a major upgrade, with users now able to sync their Samsung GALAXY S II and PC to back up their personal information without needing a USB cable.
Kies Air is a mobile application that enables over Wi-Fi computer to phone connections and browser based management. This simple to use app allows you to manage contacts and media in the web browser, meaning there’s support for PC or Mac.
You can also now control your GALAXY S II with just your voice thanks to Samsung Voice Commands. Powered by Vlingo, Samsung Voice Commands enables control of memos, social media updates, messaging, email and calling, only using voice commands.
The Samsung GALAXY S II gives customers more choice in personalising their smartphone’s homescreen experience. New for the GALAXY S II, Samsung has introduced Live Panel™, a magazine style layout that allows you to access frequently used content more directly and enjoy live updates to various information.
Incorporating a dual-core application processor and advanced HSPA+ 21Mbps connectivity, the Samsung GALAXY S II has the speed and power to provide unrivalled mobile performance. The 1.2GHz Dual Core application processor delivers fast web browsing, multi-tasking, supreme graphics quality and instantly responsive user interface on the large screen. The GALAXY S II also provides seamless multitasking, switching between applications instantly. Superior hardware performance makes games and video incredibly fast and smooth.
The Samsung GALAXY S II is equipped with an 8MP camera and camcorder with 1080p full HD recording capabilities. With Samsung’s patented AllShare technology, customers can capture, create and then share their experiences wirelessly and hassle-free with other DLNA-certified devices. Bluetooth® 3.0+HS is also featured on the device, considerably reducing data transfer times.
Next generation viewing experience
The Samsung GALAXY S II has been outfitted with Samsung’s new crystal-clear Super AMOLED Plus screen, one of the most advanced mobile visual displays ever created. Setting a new standard in quality viewing on a mobile device, Super AMOLED Plus offers a brilliant colour gamut, contrast ratio and edge sharpness. Using RealStripe screen technology and a greatly increased sub-pixel count, Super AMOLED Plus complements the mechanics of the human eye to deliver clearer and more detailed images than ever before. With a wider viewing angle and increased visibility in outdoor, the Samsung GALAXY S II provides a vibrant viewing experience.
Even with its outstanding performance, the innovative Super AMOLED Plus display does not compromise on battery performance. A significant reduction in power consumption from Super AMOLED Plus display means it is also more energy-efficient than other comparably-sized devices, allowing Samsung to minimise device weight.
In addition, thin and lightweight Corning Gorilla Glass has been added to the surface of the phone, creating a damage-resistant cover.
Samsung GALAXY S II goes to work
Samsung has introduced a new range of enterprise mobility solutions, expanding the business capabilities of the Samsung GALAXY S II and helping enterprise customers empower a flexible and connected mobile workforce. Samsung has partnered with IT industry leaders to offer the most relevant enterprise solutions on the Samsung GALAXY S II, working seamlessly with the Android™ 2.3 Gingerbread platform and paying special attention to securing data and network. These solutions include enhanced conferencing and connectivity services from Cisco, the most comprehensive mobile implementation of Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and secure remote device management from Sybase.
Pricing and availability
The Samsung GALAXY S II RRP is $899 and it will be available on all networks, rolling out progressively during June and July. A range of GALAXY S II accessories will also be available at launch, including an in-car navigation kit.