Yes! As mentioned a couple of weeks back (CoPilot Live GPS for iPhone Announcement) CoPilot Live GPS is now available at the Australian Apple Appstore. ALK were kind enough to give me a copy for review and I would like to thank them for allowing me to try their superb GPS software which I have come to love for many years.
To date, I’ve only used GoogleMaps and TomTom as my two GPS apps on the iPhone. As some of you may have learned, I was very anxious to get my hands on a true turn-by-turn GPS app ever since getting the iPhone 3G in July last year. TomTom did the job, but now having played with CoPilot (which mind you is $20 cheaper) I can confidently say that I now know why ALK CoPilot Live GPS for iPhone is the highest grossing iPhone GPS app in Europe.
CoPilot Live for iPhone Features:
- Full spoken turn-by-turn voice directions
- Detailed street maps of UK and Ireland with full UK post codes stored on your iPhone
- Clear 3D and 2D driving views with SmartZoom™ speed-variable zoom and street names
- Navigate to a house number, street, intersection or address book contact
- Automatic portrait and landscape display switching
- Comprehensive multi-stop pre-trip planning and preview
- Route optimizer works out the best way around multiple stops
- Intelligent navigation provides guidance in tunnels and underpasses
- Automatic day/night mode
- Navigate to thousands of Points of Interest
- Lane indicator & CoPilot ClearTurn™ provides a more realistic view of motorway exits and junctions
- Real Signpost display matches real-life signs
- LiveLink™ location sharing and messaging: keep track of your CoPilot friends, live on-screen!
- Live 5 day weather forecast for your location or destination
- Roadside Assistance helps you contact your breakdown company and tell them your location
- Huge range of customization features to suit the way you travel
- Customized trip status displays, including ETA, distance remaining and more
- Safety camera database (with free updates)
Yes, You Can Pinch-Zoom Maps
For starters, I like how you can pinch-zoom the map – you can’t do this with TomTom. The screen is also much nicer to look at. Here’s one example:
Don’t be put off by all the POI (Point of Interests) on the map, they disappear when you drive (Option).
Simple To Use Menu System
Here’s a shot showing how simple and easy to use CoPilot Live’s menu system is. It makes sense and brings up the most used options that you’d use in a GPS app. The only major difference here was that it didn’t have a dedicated “Home” button like TomTom has.
CoPilot Live Clear Turn Screens Really Help
Below you’ll see an example of CoPilot’s Lane Indicator and Clear Turn functionality at work. This is handy especially on multi-lane exits – saves you from the guesswork and potentially from wasting time. Most of the Clear Turn screens actually look like the real deal too. Unfortunately it’s not always this sunny in Melbourne though 😛
In summary, CoPilot Live GPS is the best iPhone GPS app I have used to date. This could change as I’ve also been given Navigon’s iPhone GPS to also review. But for the price of $79.99, it’s both cheaper than TomTom or having a dedicated unit with all these cool functions. Thank you ALK for especially incorporating pinch-zoom on maps!