I love my digital camera. Although it's been superseded by many cameras since then, it's small, compact and easy to use.
Although I'm sure I'm not alone in this, with increasingly larger and larger Megapixel sizes and their storage requirements, the bane of every digital photographer out there is running out of space on their memory cards. While you're at DISNEYLAND!!!
Although we sell memory cards
in all manner of sizes and types, up to 4GB in some cases, you have to spend an astronomical amount of money if you want virtually limitless storage capacity.
Well, the Vosonic VP6230 xDrive
is possibly the best answer to that problem. Much like the CompactDrive PD70X
, the Vosonic VP6230 xDrive has a multitude of slots that accept memory cards, supporting SmartMedia, SD/MMC, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash Type I/II, MicroDrive, MIni-SD (with adapter), RS-MMC (with adapter), Memory Stick Duo (with adapter) and Memory Stick Pro Duo (with adapter). So basically, all memory cards are supported, so it doesn't matter what camera you have, you can transfer any photos easily and painlessly. And with up to 100GB in storage, it's much much cheaper than buying 25 x 4GB memory cards!
In addition, the Vosonic VP6230 xDrive also has a high-resolution 2.5" LCD screen, which not only allows you to view the pictures stored on the xDrive, but check this out: you can also watch movies on the VP6230.
Yes, you heard that right, not only is the Vosonic VP6230 xDrive a portable storage device, it is a fully-fledged Portable Media Player
and should you have a TV nearby, it can also connect to the TV through RCA inputs.
The Vosonic VP6230 xDrive is the perfect companion for the travelling photographer - actually traveller full stop. You can watch movies while on a plane, bus or whenever on the move, it can be an audio player, you can use it to store data from memory cards and also acts as a fast USB 2.0 External Hard Drive.Features of the Vosonic VP6230 xDrive:
- 2.5" Low Temperature Poly Sillicon TFT high resolution LCD.
- Supports copying data or images from memory cards to HDD or memory card(s) to memory card(s). (No Need for a PC).
- Supports SM, SD/MMC, MS, MS Pro and CFType I/II, MicroDrive, MIni-SD (with adapter), RS-MMC (with adapter), MS Duo (with adapter), MS Pro Duo (with adapter).
- Back up all kinds of files as the 2.5" external HDD, USB card reader/writer.
- Doubles as a MP3 audio player, video player and voice recorder.
- Support to view photos or digital movies, MTV on a color LCD OR TV.Order your Vosonic VP6230 xDrive from Mr.Gadget today!
Batteries are the greatest strength and simultaneusly the greatest bane of the existence of any electronic device. They provide power but run out of it, most often than not, right at the moment when you need it the most. Only one thing in this solar system can provide an abundant almost limitless source of energy, the sun. And now this power can be harnessed to power the PSP with the Logic3 PSP Solar Charger Plus
! No batteries? No worries! In eight hours of bright sunlight, you can have your PSP charged and ready for another four to five hours of game play. This pack comes with a carry case for the solar charger and other PSP accessories you may have. Just be careful you don't mistake it for the PSP, they almost look one and the same.Features of the Logic3 PSP Solar Charger Plus:
- Use Sunlight to Recharge in only 8 hours in Bright Sunlight.
- Portable and Environmentally Friendly.
- Built in 1800mA Li-ion Battery.
- Recharge with no Mains Supply.
- Black High Gloss Finish to match PSP.
- Recharge Circuit to allow Battery to be Recharged using Mains Adaptor.
- Includes Case for Storage of Solar Charger, PSP and Accessories.
- Also suitable for Nintendo DS & GBA-SP.Order your Logic3 PSP Solar Charger Plus here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
I recently read a good article in December's edition of APC Computing Magazine
looking at the operational and durable nature of some of today's more common USB flash drives
. The results were interesting, almost as interesting as some of the tests the flash drives were tortured through!
Among the contestants were the Sandisk Cruzer Micro
and Cruzer Titanium
, Corsair's Voyager
, the Lexar JumpDrive Sport, Verbatim Store 'n' Go and a generic brand. Some of the tests ranged from the standard data transfer speed assessment to a variety of rigorous physical challenges. And when I say rigorous, that's exactly what I mean! Tests included a basic 'drop' test from a just
a first story window; a 'what is that chunking noise in the washing machine' scenario; bending and breaking points; and even the tolerance of being immersed firstly in hot coffee, and if that didn't work and pot of be
er!!! If you don't mind! Who would be submit their flash drives to such treatment! However I suppose it's good to cover all
Well the Corsair Voyager proved the fastest
in transferring data, a blistering 3 times faster than the Sandisk Cruzer Micro, and 5 times speedier than the Verbatim drive. The Sandisk Cruzer Titanium wasn't too far off in second place. As far as the physical abuse went, the two Sandisk and Corsair flash drives proved toughest
, with the Cruzer Micro being paid special mention for its more compact and rigid build. Both the Sandisk Cruzer Titanium and Corsair Voyager were awarded the "Highly Recommended Award"
whilst the Cruzer Micro was awarded the "Editor's Choice"
thanks mainly to it's superior build. For more info, have a read of the article in December's edition of APC magazine. Now it's just a case of weighing up the performance, durability and of course cost factor, and making your choice!Visit Mr.Gadget's range of USB Flash Drives Today!
Not much irritates me more than when an el-cheapo colour printer with a combined ink cartridge runs out of ONE ink colour, while the other colours still have plenty of ink. This means that you have to throw away an otherwise perfectly good ink cartridge just because you ran out of one of the four colours! And then, the replacement cartridge costs 50 bucks or more, which is an utter rip-off.
However, printers with separate ink cartridges for each colour are coming down in price - which is great news for us consumers. I'm a firm believer in paying an extra 50 or 60 dollars upfront when it means that I'll be saving hundreds down the track, since most Canon ink cartridges are around $20 each.
The Canon Pixma iP4200 Photo Printer
is one of the best of the new breed of cheap ultra-high resolution Photo Bubble Jet printers. Using 5 (!) different cartridges (2 Black, 1 Cyan, Yellow, Magenta), means that ink can be replaced as they are required, rather than throwing away all-in-one cartridges and thus, wasting ink and money. Add to that Canon's FINE printhead technology, developed through years of groundbreaking work with Bubble Jets, and you have one extremely high quality printer, that won't break the bank to run.Features of the Canon PIXMA iP4200 Photo Printer
- Maximum 9600 x 2400 color dpi with microscopic droplets as small as 1 picoliter
- FINE printhead technology for impressive speed and photo quality
- ChromaLife100 system for long lasting, beautiful photos
- Borderless 4"x 6" photo in approx. 51 seconds
- Built-in 2 sided printing and second paper tray for convenient paper selection
- PictBridge ready - just connect and print!Order your Canon Pixma iP4200 Photo Printer from Mr.Gadget today!
With Christmas just around the corner, what better time then to invest in a video camera to ensure you can look back on the good memories in years to come. The Sony DCRPC55 Mini DV Handycam
series is an excellent package for those looking at a compact, high quality yet well priced video camera.
Being small enough to fit into the palm of your hand and coming in Silver
, means the Sony DCRPC55 Mini DV Handycam is attractive to a large demographic. It boasts an impressive 3inch, high resolution LCD viewing screen which rotates a neck-wrenching 270 degrees. The LCD doubles up as a touch pad to enable you easily navigate the camcorder's menus and functions!
The DCRPC55 has a built-in 'Super Steadyshot Picture Stabilisation System' that reduces the effects of camera movement whilst not compromising picture quality. With a 10X focal zoom, easy LCD touch 'start and stop' recording button and 'Tele Macro Function' that enables close
up footage without the shadowy invasion of the camera, this camcorder guarantees maximal flexibility and functionality when trying to capture the moment.
Also supplied is a Memory Stick Duo
slot for storing footage, as well as a still camera function allowing you to take modest resolution still photos up to 640X480 pixels. This coupled with an easy-connectable docking bay allowing for straight forward uplink to external devices makes the Sony DCRPC55 Mini DV Handycam a very affordable, attractive and versatile additional option to your home entertainment collection.Features of the Sony DCRPC55 Mini DV Handycam:
* 1/6" 960H Interlace Advanced HAD CCD Imager
* 10X Optical/120X Digital Zoom
* Professional Quality Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar Lens
* Compact, Lightweight & Chic Design
* 3.0" Touch Panel SwivelScreen Hybrid LCD Display (123K Pixels)
* Handycam Station
* Touch Panel with Active Menu
* Record Start/Stop and Zoom Button on LCD Frame
* SteadyShot Picture Stabilization System
* Digital Still Memory Mode with Memory Stick Duo Media
* USB Streaming
* i.LINK DV Interface
* Manual Focus
* Tele Macro Function
* Super SteadyShot Picture Stabilization System
* Slide Show Plus
* Easy Handycam Button
* InfoLithium Battery with AccuPower Meter System
* Battery Info Display
* Active Interface Shoe
* Display Guide
* Picture Package SoftwareBuy your Silver, Black, Red or White Sony DCRPC55 Mini DV Handycam at Mr.Gadget Today
It's been a bit quiet in the Palm camp of late. With all the new Pocket PC's arriving, it seems Palm has been caught sitting on their hands, no pun intended. However, Palm's flagship PDA, the Treo 650 is still one of the top PDA's in the market. Don't know why that's so, the Windows operating system is perfectly fine in my opinion but to each his own I guess. One thing which will always be a constant in any platform, any peice of electronics for that matter, is power consumption. The Palm Treo 650 is no exception. So if you have one of these devices, don't be caught running out of power. The Palm Treo 650 1800mAh Battery
is now available here at Mr.Gadget Australia. It's the same size as the original, same capacity, same talk time and if you smell it, it probably even smells the same! The only difference is, it's cheaper! Why wouldn't you get one?Features of the Palm Treo 650 1800mAh Battery:
- Fully compatible with Palm Treo 650
- Recharges the same way as the original
- Same physical size as the original
- Up to 6 hours talk time!Order your Palm Treo 650 1800mAh Battery here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
I got a new laptop last week and with a bit of time up my sleeves during its setup, I decided to surf the web to find some tips on how to reduce wait times while Windows XP was booting and shutting down.
Came across this fantastic article from Pcstats.com which has some very easy to follow instructions on how to achieve a more responsive Windows XP installation on your PC or laptop! Enjoy!
Here's the link: PCStats Windows XP Tips
Feel free to comment below on whether it helped or not.
Who cares about the X-Files anymore? THE ALIENS ARE ALREADY HERE! *screams and runs for the hills* Oh wait, it's just an alien-shaped keyring. Well, to those who still "want to believe", or just want an awesome funky Christmas present gadgety-thing, the Led Lenser Alien Lite Keyring
is one of the funkiest keyrings around. Your friends and the Lone Gunmen will be impressed (or spooked) by the glowing eyes and the utility of glaringly bright LED lights on a keyring.
The Alien Lite Keyring comes in an awesome UFO-shaped tin - it almost makes you believe that aliens designed this. Get yours now for Christmas!Features of the Led Lenser Alien-Lite
- Special features:
gold-plated contacts / shining blue eyes / low energy consumption/ very high luminous efficiency / spray-water proof / exceptional design / snap hook incl.
- Power supply:
2 x CR 1632 3V order no. batteries: 7710
- Weight with batteries:
approx. 49gOrder your Led Lenser Alien Lite Keyring from Mr.Gadget today!
The speakers on the Sony PlayStation Portable (aka PSP) are not the very best sounding speakers on the market. We're not looking for Senneheiser quality here but since it's a Sony, the father of portable music ala Walkman, we were expecting a little something more. So it's no wonder that a plethora of add-on speakers have popped up for the PSP. Some are full range, boasting even a sub-woofer. But for a more portable style, the Logic3 PSP Sound Grip
cannot be passed over. These grips have incorporated speakers which result in better sound and better handling of the PSP. If the PSP is a PlayStation 2 in the palm of your hand, the Logic3 PSP Sound Grip gives it more of a PS2 controller feel.Features of the Logic3 PSP Sound Grip:
- Portable clip on speakers.
- Provides enhanced gaming experience through higher quality sound over the internal PSP speakers.
- Includes convenient stand which allows music & movie playback.
- Includes hand grips for vastly improved gameplay.
- Pass through ports for earphones & power.Order your Logic3 PSP Sound Grip for Christmas here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
It seems computer storage is something we can never get enough of. With the accumulation of files by the day, extra hard drive space is becoming more and more of a luxury. Thankfully the price we pay per megabyte of space has dropped considerably! We can now have that extra space without having to spend huge amounts of money. Seagate have long proven to develop reliable and fast hard drives. Their Pata and Sata Barracuda Hard Drive series
are no exception!
Up until recently, Parallel ATA (PATA) have been the dominant hard drive format. Now Serial ATA (SATA) is really making its mark. There are a few advantages with Sata hard drives. They transport their data much quicker thanks to a larger bandwidth. The even newer SataII drives have increased the speed even more. The data cables are also much thinner, making them easier to install and allowing air to pass through the computer more efficiently to allow for better PC cooling. You also don't need to worry about Master and Slave settings. With PATA setups, two hard drives can share the one data cable. To ensure this you need to assign the drive at the end of the data cable as 'Master', whilst the one at the middle of the cable is the 'Slave'. However only the newer motherboards will be compatible with Sata drives, so before upgrading ensure yours will meet the job.
What has astounded me is the price drop in hard drives. A couple of years ago, 60GB was considered massive. Now it's not even worth a laugh at! If you are buying a new hard drive don't consider anything less than 120GB. At only $140 dollars for a 120GB Sata drive
, it's an absolute bargain! If that's not big enough for you, try a 400GB
monster! Not only for space, but also the speed transfer of data in the newer drives make them more attractive. We mustn't forget that our computer's performance will be greatly affected by the hard drives ability to output data to the motherboard. We often don't think of the hard drive as a bottlenecking source.
There's one final point that I feel is really important. Given the size of the hard drives now, it should be a common practice to partition your drive
. In other words effectively split your one hard drive into two. Assign the smaller section on your hard drive to running the Windows operating system, whilst have the larger storage sector accommodating your data files. The added advantage of this is that when you come to format your hard drive and re-install Windows (something we all should do at least once a year to optimise performance), you won't need to touch your important data files as they are safely stored on the other partition.Order your Hard Drive at Mr.Gadget today!
SUMMER IS COMING! Wait a minute, I think I've used that line before. Oh, who cares, I'm excited because the weather is just getting better and better and hotter and hotter. Which means I won't be cooped up inside as much as before and can actually get a tan (Yeah right - Ed). Anyway, I've mentioned going to the beach many a time. What a lot of people don't know about is my passion for diving. Yeah, I love to dive. Not scuba diving, but snorkelling because I am a wuss.
Well, for those of you who are a bit more hardcore than I and have a bit of a passion of diving deep depths or at night, we've got the Led Lenser Frogman Waterproof Divers Torch
and the Led Lenser Micro-Frogman Triplex Waterproof Divers Torch
. Both are waterproof down to 60m and provide a fantastically penetrating light that is required underwater, due to diffusion, normal bulbs just aren't focused enough to illuminate.
Trust me, you do not want to shine these babies into your eyes. I've still got little blind spots. Not that I shone them into my eyes or anything. *cough*.
Order your Led Lenser Frogman Waterproof Divers Torch
or Led Lenser Micro-Frogman Triplex Waterproof Divers Torch
from Mr.Gadget today!
Just last week I wrote how impressed I was by the Panasonic DMC-FX8 Digital Still Camera's
large 2.5inch LCD screen. Well the new Canon Ixus 55 Digital Camera
sports just as an impressive 2.5 LCD display to help optimise taking photos. It seems the consumer feedback for portability and a larger back viewing display have caused the major digital camera companies to bring out new improved models.
The 5 Megapixel Canon Ixus 55 Digital Camera is the upgrade to the recently discontinued Ixus 50
model. Thanks to Canon's DiG!C II Imaging Processor, the Ixus 55 has high speed start-up times, fast auto focus, smooth continuous shooting, faster overall processing and superior image quality. It has a night display function to assist shooting subjects in darkened environments, as well as having a number of preset 'shooting modes' to help the user capture each moment with the best possible photo quality. Being a slim, portable camera, it's perfect to slip into the pocket without bulging out too much. Yet despite it's portability it still has a decent 3x optical zoom. And let's not forget the massive 2.5inch LCD screen that not only helps in capturing photos, but is a luxury when taking video footage and viewin
g the photos you've already snapped.
Coupled with the Canon CP600 Compact Photo Printer
, the Ixus 55 would be a great Christmas gift to enable you to not only take quality photos in a breeze, but to easily print out your favourite pics without having to worry about hooking up to a computer and fiddling with the PC printer's settings. How good is it when advanced technology is made so easy to use.Features of the Canon Ixus 55 Digital Camera:
* 5.0 Megapixel
* Canon 3x optical zoom lens
* Huge 2.5 inch LCD screen
* Super fast DiG!C II Imaging Processor
* Button allows easy 'one push' printing of images straight from the camera
* Huge 2.5 inch LCD for easy review of photos and movie files.
* Night display function assists shooting subjects in darkness.
* High speed USB 2.0 support allows fast image transfer.
* High quality movie recording and playback with sound allows movie editing, fast forward, reverse and frame by frame replay from the camera's LCD screen.Order your Canon Ixus 55 Digital Camera at Mr.Gadget Today!
The iMate JasJar
is one of the this year's most celebrated pocketPC gadgets. It has upped the anty in the world of high-speed mobile experiences. Featuring a 520MHz processor, 128MB of permanent memory, two built-in cameras, QWERTY keyboard and swivelling rotatable screen, it's easy to why seen why it'll be at the top of many Christmas Wishlists this season.
Now for those contemplating the pre-Christmas splurge or have already done so, please consider purchasing a iMate JasJar Screen Protector.
Not only are these crystal clear, made out non-sticky silicon compounds, reusable and washable, but they also provide superb protection for your Jas Jar screen. We have fresh stock that's just arrived so get yours today!Features of the iMate JasJar Screen Protector:
- Precision cut for the iMate JasJar PDA screen
- Protect the screen from scratches and fingerprints
- Non-adhesive cling - No air bubbles
- Easy to apply and reuse - No residueOrder your Imate JasJar Screen Protector here at Mr.Gadget Australia!
SUMMER IS COMING! Who doesn't love summer? The long, hot, sultry days, dripping with sweat provides the perfect opportunity (or excuse) for us to hit the beach. Which would be great if we can actually get to the beach - some of us have to WORK you know. Anyway, dipping ourselves into nice cool water aside, we all need some way to cool ourselves off during our heatwaves, especially if your office or home doesn't have air conditioning. And we all know the know how much heat our latest and great computers put out, especially the stuff that Stu has been blogging about - we know his products are awesome and fast and all, but damn do they toast the room.
Anyway, although some may find it fun to not only burn your retinas while staring at the screen, but also boil the rest of your body while working at the computer, most of us don't find that particularly comfortable. Or appealing. So for some of us who have to suffer without air-conditioning (yes, such as us poor Mr.Gadget employees), we have to make do with some form of personal cooling. The USB Desktop Safety Fan
not only sits on your desk and provides quiet cooling, it is powered by USB so there are less power cables dangling around. A neat feature is the fan blades are made of a soft foam material, so curious buggers won't get their fingers chopped off when they "accidentally" show their mates what a great idea it is to put a finger in a high-speed rotating fan. Er, not that I would ever do such a thing.Features of the USB Desktop Safety Fan:
- Connects with any USB Interface, like a desktop PC, Notebook or Apple Mac.
- Efficient Power Mode
- Easy plug and play installation
- Full compliance with Universal Serial Bus Specification Revision 1.0 / 1.1/ 2.0
- Total weight is 500g
- Size : 22 cm x 12 cm x 12 cm
- Special Safety Fan Leaf
- With Power ON / OFF Button
- Bus Power Mode
- USB Cable length: 150 cm Order your USB Desktop Safety Fan from Mr.Gadget today!
No doubt the PSP screen is such a beatiful thing. Clear, crisp and it's widescreen. Unfortunately, the PSP's built in speakers don't hold the same credentials. They're ok but for a real gamer, you'll want to hear bullets fly past you, shrapnel landing inches from where your standing, the roar of a turbo engine and the screeching of rubber against pavement at 300 km/h.
The Logic3 PSP Sound System Mini Theatre
will deliver. Forget those weak 2 speaker systems which give out tinny sound. This sound system features a sub-woofer for fuller more wholesome effect. Booms will be boomier and exhausts more throatier. The Logic3 PSP Sound System Mini Theatre is powered by an included adaptor which means when you dock your PSP, it'll also be charged at the same time. And when you're done, it folds down to a package small enough to pack away in a small bag, portable as the PSP itself.Features of the Logic3 PSP Sound System Mini Theatre:
- Astonishingly superior sound for Game Play, DVD Movies or Music.
- The only system to include a 2.1 Stereo Sub-Woofer.
- Recharging Dock Station.
- ReCharges docked PSP when Sound Station connected to AC power.
- Internal 3D Surround
- Sound ProcessorOrder your Logic3 PSP Sound System Mini Theatre for your PSP here at Mr.Gadget Australia before Christmas!
At the end of the day your computer monitor is the main interface between you and your computer. Pretty much everything your computer does is delivered through the screen. So it seems a bit strange that some people remain content with their outdated Cathode Ray (CRT) monitors when they take up a lot more room as well as giving you a headache. Of course then there is the radiation output! Without the excuse of the technology being too expensive anymore, today's advanced LCD monitor range
provides consumers with plenty of exciting options. They provide crisper, superior images that are easy on the eye as well as take up a fraction of the room on your desk.
Before getting too excited let's look at a couple of areas for consideration. Ideally you want a screen with a digital input
(DVI). The PC generates graphics digitally. With the older analogue CRT monitors, the graphical infomation had to be converted from a digital
to analogue format. In the process some infomation is lost, thus compromising visual integrity. However given LCD's reproduce digital data, the conversion is not required. Therefore less distortion occurs, leading to the crisper images.
One big advantage with the LCD apart from their superior image clarity
, is that they don't 'flicker' like CRT screens. CRT screens need to refresh the image constantly as the phosphors on the screen lose their charge. This causes the headaches after prolonged use. Higher refresh rates will reduce the apparent flicker a bit, but headaches will still be a problem. Given the LCD's image is updated differently and almost instantaneously, flicker is not a problem and the graphics are a lot easier on the eyes. I couldn't believe the difference when I first swapped over!
One difference to remember with LCD's as opposed to their older CRT counterparts, is that they are designed with a native resolution
. Each screen has a fixed pixel grid, meaning the screen produces one 'ideal' resolution. Whilst CRT screens can display a number of resolutions by altering the scanning of its electron gun, an LCD screen will only produce it's optimal crisp picture at one resolution.
So what screen do you choose? The larger LCD screens can produce higher resolutions, yet price does increase exponentially, especially when you go above the 19 inch models. Standard 4:3 ratio 17 and 19 inch screens are the more affordable options, with 17 inch screens
tending to have resolution around 1024 by 1024 pixels. 19 inch screens
have the same resolution, but with a larger vie
wing screen, the image is a bit easier on the eyes and more immersable. Also given they have come down greatly in price, 19 inch LCD's would seem a prime option
. They are about the same price now as the older 17 inch CRT monitors used to be about 4 years ago! Wide screen LCD's
are becoming increasingly popular given the preferred DVD viewing format and increased quantity of data representation due to the higher resolution. Some LCD's even have inbuilt TV tuners
! What ever you choose to buy, you will not regret the visual candy your eyes can feed on!Buy an LCD monitor at Mr.Gadget Today!
Well, the past few times I've done a blog on audio-related equipment, I've tended to go the higher-end (and more expensive) stuff. Awesome sounding stuff, with a decent price tag to match. However, I know that there are plenty out there who don't need the glitz and glamour of the latest high-tech audio systems. They just want something that would do the job with the minimum of fuss and price.
Well, the Laser Stereo Desktop Speakers
are cheap, but definitely not nasty. Well, I'm a believer of taking my own medicine - if I was to advertise something, I would try my best to use it. In fact, I actually use the Laser Stereo Desktop Speakers at work to listen to music at softer levels and I was surprised that they do such a decent job - I am quite happy with them. They are powered speakers, which is almost unheard of in this price range, and they are surprisingly loud. Sure, I had to play around with EQ a little bit to eke out a little bit more bass, but for less than 30 bucks, they're a fantastic no-frills speaker set for people who just need something to hear their music. They are just as home with a CD player or computer.
Unbelievable value for money.
P.S. - P.M.P.O. kinda looks like P.I.M.P, don't it? Features of the Laser Stereo Desktop Speakers
- Sleek tower design
- Magnetic shielding to prevent noise interference
- Built-in controls for easy operation
- P.M.P.O. 400W Order your Laser Stereo Desktop Speakers from Mr.Gadget today!
It's so easy to get caught up in the technological whirl pool of new gizmos these days. There is so much on offer! There's boundless computer and multimedia options, as well as HIFI and home theatre bundles galore! In adding to your techno collection there's one factor that can be easily over-looked - protection. That's where the Laser Power Surge Protection Board
'plugs' into play.
Power surge protection is something we must all take advantage of when it comes to using expensive electrical equipment. The thought of having a power surge fry or damage your computer's motherboard or damage your television and expensive HIFI system will no doubt bring a tear to the eye. Laser has developed a power board which will allow you to plug in up to 6 appliances. The plugs are well spaced to accommodate those larger AC adapters which is handy. There is also a data line and telephone input to protect your modem and telephone cables from surges and spikes. The 1.8m long cable gives you a little more flexibility as well. Will be adding this to my collection!Features of the LASER Power Surge Protection Board:
* Protected telephone Line RJ12 & RJ45 x 2 sockets (in/out)
* Six protected power sockets
* LED for power on
* Extra long power cord
* EMI/RFI protection on power line
* INPUT VOLTAGE: 240 VAC / max current 10A
* FREQUENCY: 50/60Hz
* DC STRIKE VOLTAGE: 380V (phone)
* CLAMP VOLTAGE: 275VRMS
* ENERGY ABSORBTION FOR PHONE LINE: 80 joules
* ENERGY ABSORBTION FOR POWER LINE: 524 joules
* SURGE CURRENT: 4,500A 8/20 nano sec
* RESPONSE TIME: 20 nano seconds
* SUITABLE FOR: internet, modem, computer, laptops, televisions, answering machines, caller ID, cordless telephones, fax machines and other home appliancesOrder your Laser Power Surge Protection Board at Mr.Gadget Today!
For the longest time, laptop users have had to put up with sub-standard audio systems. Due to the compromises inherent in putting so much within a limited amount of space, the audio quality is always an afterthought and always never
good enough. I mean, it's pretty obvious isn't it? In order for a speaker to sound its best and fullest, it requires moving a lot of AIR, which means it needs to be relatively large, which goes against what having a laptop is all about. However, Altec Lansing have developed the Altec Lansing XT1 USB Audio Speaker System
, an awesome pair of portable speakers, designed to give the best quality and yet be light enough to carry around with your laptop.
As the resident self-proclaimed pretentious audiophile, anything audio-related that comes into Mr.Gadget does not do so without passing my watchful gaze. Or attentive ear. Not only do I give this speaker set a big thumbs up, apparently PC Mag seems to like them too
. The sound quality, although not ear-blowing as full desktop (and much larger) speaker sets, is full, accurate and has Altec Lansing sound quality all the way.
Seriously considering getting one of these for my travels - would be great.Features of the Altec Lansing XT1 USB Audio/Speaker System
- Slim, portable design - Flat panel, shielded satellites with removable stands pack easily and go anywhere.
- USB-Powered - Connects easily to laptops and desktops via retractable USB cable. No power supply needed!
- Big Sound for Laptops - Four specially engineered full-range neodymium micro drivers with aluminum cones smoothly deliver a full spectrum of pure, distinct sound with unprecedented signal accuracy.
- Quality Bass - Bass enhancement technology creates quality bass without a subwoofer.
- Deluxe Carry Case - Compartment bag included for your traveling convenience.
- Built-in Controls - Include power on/off and volume.
- Auxiliary Input Jack - Connect two different audio sources - your laptop and MP3 jukebox for example - at the same time.Order your Altec Lansing XT1 USB Audio Speaker System from Mr.Gadget Australia today!
It seems to be human nature to hold on to things. Whether it is our childhood toys, photos and videos taken years ago or those old 'collectors' CD's and dare I say... records. As the days role on by, so do the bundles of materials we find it hard to get rid of. It's no different for our computer files and data.
With digital multimedia booming and the increasing size of digital storage, people are trying capture every Kodak magic moment with their new cameras
and video cams. Given the advantage of storing all our music on file and creating Playlists for both personal and social occasions, we tend to dump every known song onto our PC's. Let's not also forget the accumulative number of 'important' documents we have on our computers that are either essential to our work or management of finances. Just stop and imagine for a moment that you lost all that data... how would you feel! Awful thought isn't it! We know backing up data is essential, but it can take so long and be more confusing than should be. Flash Drives
are great, but are expensive when requiring larger storage capacities. Well the Maxtor OneTouch II USB and FireWire External Storage Drive
series is an affordable option that takes the complexity and worry out of your life!
As an external storage device, the Maxtor OneTouch II drives connects to your PC using either Firewire or USB 2.0 technology. There are also the Network Attached Storage
options by Maxtor that hook up via an Ethernet connection to your network. Maxtor has prided itself on reliability and efficiency. Backing up your data is as simple as pushing a button! You can setup the easy to follow software with periodic data backups so you don't even have to worry about it. If for whatever reason you lose your data or your internal hard drive dies; instead of ripping out your hair in disbelief, you can simply reinstall your safely backed up Windows and data files from you Maxtor drive. What luxury!
On top of that the drive can be used as another standard hard drive for you to copy all your photos, office programs, video and music files. It can double up as your portable multimedia storage centre. Take it with you to a friend's house and simply plug it into their computer so you use the drive as a digital photo album or play the bucket loads of music you've accumulated! I have just bought one of these drives, and I was quite impressed with it's data transfer speed and versatility. I know I can now rest assured all my files are secure!Features of the Maxtor OneTouch II USB and FireWire External Storage Drive:
* Maxtor OneTouch™ button - the easy way to make backup copies of your files
* Ideal storage for photos, music, editing video and creating high-end graphics
* Maxtor DriveLock™ protects contents of drive if lost or stolen
* Simple Maxtor user-interface for drive management, security and backup scheduling (Windows only)
* Creates historical backup versions with full system restore to a point in time*
* 7200 RPM, 16MB cache buffer
* Whisper-quiet fluid dynamic bearing motor
* Dual interfaces:
- FireWire compatible — up to 400Mb/sec data transfer rates
- USB 2.0 and 1.1 compatible — up to 480 Mb/sec data transfer rates
* Anodized aluminum case
* Customizable Maxtor OneTouch™ button
- Connect up to 62 FireWire® devices
- Connect up to 127 USB 2.0 devices with USB hubs
* Plug and play storage
* Dantz® Retrospect® Express software included
* Power on/off button and power management utilities included
* Quick and easy installation
* PC and Mac compatible
* 300GB holds up to:
- 21 hours of DV video
- 230,000 digital photos (JPEG-normal)
- 5,000 hours of high quality digital music (MP3)Buy your 100, 200, 250 or 300GB Maxtor OneTouch II USB and FireWire External Storage Drive at Mr.Gadget Today!
Superb news for iPaq HX4700 owners
who are sick of having to charge their pocketPCs all the time! We now have high capacity (monstrous 3650mAh) batteries for the HX4700
These lithium-ion beauties will give iPaq HX4700 owners up to 10 hours of battery time - very handy for road warriors and students who don't always have access to a power point. On top of the extra battery performance, these cards are also priced very well!Features of the HP iPaq hx4700 3650mAh Battery:
- Includes new back cover
- 3650mAh Lithium Ion Battery
- Up to 10 Hours Battery lifeGet your HP iPaq HX4700 High Capacity 3650mAh battery at Mr.Gadget Australia!
VROOOOM VROOOOOOOOOOM. Now there is the sound that a racecar driver hears who I, due to my advancing years (and expanding waistline), will never be. There was a stage where I wanted to be a Nigel Mansell or Damon Hill in F1, Peter Brock or Mark Skaife in touring cars, or Juha Kankunnen or Carlos Sainz in the WRC. Actually sometimes I still drive around like a wannabe race car driver, it's quite sad really.
Well, to those of you who had their own racing driver dreams left unfulfilled, here is a change to relive your childhood memories. The Remote Controlled Nitro Car
is not just any battery-powered remote-controlled toy car. For the price it's amazingly the real deal - it is a professional model, powered by Nitro and requires as much care as a car or motorbike. It even has a tuneable exhaust and the wheels and tyres can be upgraded - RC racecar meets here we come!
Mmmm...I can only imagine how fast this baby will go.Features of the Remote Controlled Nitro Car
- Assembled chassis
- 15CX high-torque and pull start engine with carburetor
- Muffler and air filter
- Front and rear bevel gear differentials
- Full Featured 2 Channel Pistol Grip Radio Control included
- 4 wheels shaft-drive system
- Adjustable wishbone suspension
- Oil-filled shock absorber
- Alloy aluminum upper plate and chassisOrder your Remote Controlled Nitro Car from Mr.Gadget today!
When I bought my first digital camera I was immediately impressed with the versatility and practicality it brought to my novice photographic skills. However I was quick to hit a hurdle... as normally happens when investigating new technology! As easy as it was to take photos, printing them out was a different story. Well the Canon CP600 Compact Photo Printer
alleviates any headaches that may be brewing.
As good as many of the larger BubbleJet Printers
are, they do take some time setting up to obtain optimal photo quality. Once done they produce excellent photos, but it can be a confusing process... a process many of us don't want to endure. Well the Canon CP600 Compact Photo Printer is geared specifically
to printing out your favourite photos. It's as easy as plugging in your camera, selecting the photo and pressing print! The printer and supplied is already set up to produce excellent quality photos. I purchased an older Canon model and was amazed at the simplicity of the process. Even my parents could operate it with ease! There is one ink cartridge you slot in, instead of the multiple coloured cartridges for BubbleJet printers. You also have a choice of paper sizes and can even print out stickers. It comes with an infrared port so you can beam photos from your phone. The Canon CP600 Compact Photo Printer certainly does up the practicality and versatility appeal of digital photography!Features of the Canon CP600 Compact Photo Printer:
* High Image Quality
- Dye-sublimation thermal print-through process with a high resolution of 300 x 300dpi in 24bit colour produces extremely high quality, long lasting prints.
- DIGIC II image processing acts as the brain within the printer, improving speed and quality.
- 4 layer print process - cyan, magenta, yellow and a durable clear UV protective coating to prevent fading and colour change.
- Automatic dynamic range correction compensates brightness and contrast when printing from PictBridge compatible camera models.
- Images can be trimmed using the camera's LCD screen and printed with or without borders directly from the digital camera.
- File name and date function automatically prints file name and date directly onto the image.* Easy to Use, Compact and Stylish Design
- Camera direct and mobile camera phone direct printing.
- All controls and inputs are removed from the printer to ensure ease of use
- the connected PictBridge~ compatible digital camera, or camera phone controls all printer operations using the camera's menu on the built-in LCD screen.
- Full support for all PictBridge functions
- compatible with all PictBridge models as well as the complete range of Canon digital still cameras and selected Canon DV and DSLR cameras.
- Features DPOF support, for easy image selection, print qty setting and ordered printing.
- Included PC software for photo printing using personal computers.
*Variety of Paper Sizes and Styles
- The CP600 supports four print sizes, postcard 148 x 100mm, wide 200 x 100mm, L size 119 x 89mm and credit card 86 x 54mm.
- New 108 sheet postcard size paper packs offer convenience and cost savings.
- The included battery pack allows the SELPHY CP600 Compact Photo printer to quickly and easily print photos and even stickers for friends and family anywhere, anytime.
- Credit card sized label paper available for printing 8 copies of the same image for fun mini stickers.The Canon CP600 Compact Photo Printer is available at Mr.Gadget later this week
Having a laptop can be both a blessing and a curse. Fantastic because you can pretty much take your work anywhere with you, or if you really feel so inspired to write or create, you have your computer right there for immediate use before you lose the muse/mojo. However, one of the biggest drawbacks is its lack of expansion options - you can't add another hard drive or upgrade the video card, and usually replacing the hard drive is a rather arduous task and you always run the risk of losing important bits and pieces.
However, due to the advent of USB 2.0 and Firewire, it has actually become possible to have an external hard drive that has enough performance to satisfy most of us, without resorting to SCSI, Fibre-Channel or other expensive interfaces. The Welland ME-740 3.5 inch Firewire/USB 2.0 Aluminium External Enclosure
is a stylish hard drive enclosure that stands out from the crowd with a classy brushed metal finish, and since the casing itself is made of metal, is rigourous enough to withstand almost anything, which is crucial for portable storage. I actually own the 2.5" model when I upgraded my old laptop hard drive. It looks great and is as durable as it looks.
The ME-740 Firewire/USB 2.0 Aluminium External Enclosure allows you to put any generic 3.5" Parallel ATA hard drive inside, such as the Seagate Barracuda 400GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
, so basically you are only limited by your budget and hard drive technology.
A portable 400GB hard drive for less than $500? Amazing.Features of the Welland ME-740 3.5" Hard Drive Firewire/USB 2.0 Aluminium External Enclosure
- For 3.5" HDD
- USB 1.1, USB 2.0, 1394A (Firewire 400) interface
- Work with PC and Mac
- Plug and Play
- Hot-Swappable connection
- Compatible with Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
- Compatible with Mac OS 8.6 or above, Mac OS X 10.0 or above
- 30 Watt External Power supplyOrder your Welland ME-740 3.5 inch Firewire/USB 2.0 Aluminium External Enclosure from Mr.Gadget today!
Before sliced bread, even before the invention of the wheel, fire was a commodity unrivaled. Today we take for granted the benefits of fire because of the conveniences of modern appliances. Place the modern man in the bush and he'll probably suffer from the cold, starve and cry himself to sleep. The MagFire Firestarter
is a safe and sure way to create a fire. Whether it's in the bush or for a barbeque, rain or shine, this little tool will create sparks hot enough to start off a lovely fire. And unlike other firestarters which use chemicals, the MagFire Firestarter is safe and won't ignite by itself.Features of the MagFire Firestarter:
- Produces a 3,000 degrees Celsius hot spark
- MAGFIRE lasts for 3,000 strikes.
- Water and oil resistant
- Will not break in tough conditions
- Safe to use, won't burn or ignite itself
- Can be used as a signal for help
- Tolerates temperature fluctuation
- Made of 6 different metals, incl. magnesiumOrder your MagFire Firestarter here at Mr.Gadget Australia today.
Power, give me power! With power-hungry graphics cards and dual core CPU's migrating their way into our home PC's, it's paramount that you have a clean and abundant power source to drive them. No point getting the latest in graphics technology and trying to power your new beast with a sub par power supply unit. You run the risk of delivering inconsistent and noisy power which could damage your computer. Well Antec have prided themselves in delivering efficient and clean power supply units.
The Antec NEO480 Watt ATX12V Power Supply
certainly maintains Antec's high standards. Its power output is more than adequate for the most demanding of graphics cards, and its noise level is amongst the lowest in the market. But what's really cool is its cabling setup. Cable clutter can really obstruct airflow within the computer, causing running temperatures to rise, not to mention the more cables there are, the harder it is to access comp
onents. Well the NeoPower 480 has a very user friendly setup that allows you to only use the output cables that are needed! Therefore you don't have redundant power cables just hanging loose within the computer. Very innovative and practical! No doubt this well designed unit will meet any computer needs!Features of the Antec NEO480 Watt ATX12V Power Supply:
- Advanced Cable Management System allows you to use only the cables you need. This improves airflow and reduces clutter inside your case.
- ATX12V v2.0 compliance reduces power consumption by up to 25%, saving you money on your electricity bill.
- Universal input automatically accepts line voltages from 100V to 240V AC.
- Active PFC delivers environmentally-friendlier power.
- Dual +12V rails provide plenty of juice for even the most power-hungry systems.
- Includes special power connector for PCI Express graphic cards.
- Dedicated circuits for each voltage output allow NeoPower to overcome combined output limitations.
- Voltage-feedback circuitry improves system stability by delivering extremely accurate power. - Temperature-response system ensures blissfully quiet operation, by varying fan speed in response to load and conditions.
- Dedicated Fan-Only connectors allow NeoPower to control case fan speeds, thereby further reducing system noise.
- Over-temp and over-current protection, provide maximum reliability.
- 120mm fan delivers whisper-quiet cooling.
- Gold-plated connectors for superior conductivity.Order your Antec NEO480 Watt ATX12V Power Supply from Mr.Gadget Today!
Words cannot express how nifty the iRiver U10 is. Between playing your music, videos, photo albums, and games this ultra-portable flash based player stands its ground no matter the occasion. Oh wait, I guess words CAN describe the U10, because we managed to write an entire review about it! Read on...
Small torches are great for certain uses - they are portable, can be taken virtually anywhere and it's always handy to have one in the car. But there is one thing small torches ain't - and that is BRIGHT. Due to the compromises in making a torch portable, the bulb and the batteries have to be smaller. Small bulb + low power = Dimness. Or if you're a nerd like me, you could do it like this:
/* Just an example */
if (torch == small)
bulb = small;
battery = small;
brightness = dim;
Well, the Led Lenser Micro Fire Rechargeable Tactical Torch
pretty much dispels the notion that small has to equal dim. With a 1.25W Powerchip giving 30 Lumens (!!!!) the Micro Fire could be pretty much the only small torch you will ever need. With a rechargeable battery and a 2.5 hour battery life between charges, it is also extremely convenient.Features of the LED Lenser Micro Fire Rechargeable Tactical Torch
- Rugged machined aluminium housing.
- High efficiency reflector lense design.
- Gold plated switch contacts.
- Powerful 1.25W Powerchip giving 30 Lumens.
- Ultra compact size for discrete and light weight wear.
- Rechargeable for continued cost effective and reliable use.
- Weight - 47g
- Battery - 1 x ICR14500 rechargeable NiMH battery (included).
- Burn Time - 2.5h Per Charge - in such a tiny torch!
- Length - 95mm
- Diameter Lamp - 17.5mm
- Diameter Tube - 57.6mm
- Lumens - 30
- Includes battery charger.
- Includes pouch.
- Comes packed in handsome black presentation gift box.
- LED Lenser limited lifetime warranty.Order your Led Lenser Micro Fire Rechargeable Tactical Torch from Mr.Gadget today!
The three great things about the HP iPaq hx4700 are VGA screen, WiFi and Bluetooth. These three things are also what drains the battery the most. And with almost all PDA's, once the battery is totally gone, so is everything. Have no fear, the HP iPaq hx4700 1800mAh Battery
has landed. It's an aftermarket battery with the same specs as the original from physical size to power capacity. Don't be caught out dead in the water. Be sure you have enough power to access all your contacts, emails, documents and most importantly, solitair!Features of the HP iPaq hx4700 1800mAh Battery:
- Same slim dimensions as the original
- 1800 mAh
- Up to six hours of battery life
- Same battery life as the original at a lower price!Order your HP iPaq hx4700 1800mAh Battery here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
are probably one of the more glamorised computer components out there. With their impressive processing capabilities and fancy heat sinks and cooling fans, the graphics card demands attention. However there is a magnitude of cards available. Knowing which to have is a real headache! It basically comes down to what you want to use your PC for... not to mention what's under your PC bonnet already!
If you enjoy playing games, upgrading your graphics card is a must! It takes the image processing load off the CPU and allows for you to enjoy the incredibly detailed and beautifully rendered gaming software of today without the jerky motion. You have a choice of either the more common AGP cards
or PCI Express cards
which are the way of the future. AGP cards were introduced given the demand of more sophisticated 3d rendering being employed by manufacturers. However as technology has advanced, the bandwidth offered by AGP has bottlenecked performance progression and forced the birth of PCI Express cards. These cards are the way of the future and should be your focus when upgrading
. However these cards only fit in the newer motherboards
, as the older ones offer the AGP technology. Motherboards are either one or the other. So if you are looking to upgrade to a PCI Express card, there's a good chance you will need to look at a new motherboard.
The speed of the graphics cards is determined fundamentally by the core chipset. There are both Nvidia and ATI cores. Their rivalry is similar to that of AMD and Intel's CPU
battle. This is great for consumers, as their fierce competition forces them to bring out more advanced cards, thus pushing prices on mid range cards down. ATI have just released their new X1000
series cards in direct competition with Nvidia's recent dominance with the 7800
series. One important point though - it's pointless buying a fast graphics card if you don't have the CPU and RAM
to support it. Even though the graphics card does the visuals processing load, it can only process the information the CPU brings to it. So if you have a slow CPU, then your graphics card's performance will be compromised given it's longer waiting time for work to do.
So for gamers, you shouldn't look any lower than an Nvidia 6600GT
, however these cards are more aimed at t
he mid range computers, as they will struggle with games in high detail. The ATI X800XL
is a better mid range option, however to utilise today's gaming technology fully, the Nvidia 7800 GT
or ATI's X1000
series cards are the way to go. The 7800GT offers great bang for buck!
For those looking to use their computers for multimedia and standard applications, the 6600GT
will do the job nicely. Keeping all that in mind the PCIe versions will perform better.Order your new Graphics Card at Mr.Gadget Today!
Socceroos take out Uruguay : Pride goeth before destruction!
Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie!
After weeks of having to listen to the Uruguay Soccer Team tell the world how pathetic the Australian team were, I'm happy to report that they're now heading back home with their tails between their legs and World Cup hopes in tatters.
To the Socceroos, well done! You guys are champions! All the best at the World Cup!
In a few days, U.S. Cingular customers will be the first to sample RIM's new Blackberry 8700c
The advantages of the Blackberry 8700c are better battery life, it's lighter, more SDRAM, brighter screen, cooler ringtones and its EDGE capability. Buttons also look bigger. All in all a exciting addition to the Blackberry family.
Too bad it'll still be another couple of months till something like this arrives in Australia!Features of the Blackberry 8700c:
- The BlackBerry 8700c features complete functionality, including:
- Wireless Data Access
- Address book
- Internet Browser
- Mem- Pad
- Dynamic, highly responsive experience when viewing attachments and graphics, browsing the web and running applications.
- Access up t- 10 supported business and/or personal email accounts
- Integrated attachment viewing for popular file formats
- MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service) allows you t- combine text and images on a single message.
- Bright, high-resolution screen provides large viewable workspace and includes intelligent light sensing technology t- automatically optimize screen lighting levels for ideal indoor and outdoor viewing.
- Built-in speakerphone for hands-free dialog and convenient conference calls with excellent sound quality
- Bluetooth hands-free headset and car kit support
- Polyphonic and MP3 ring tones can be assigned t- your contacts
- Ergonomic, full QWERTY keyboard for a familiar typing and data entry experience
- Large, dedicated "Send", "End" and "Mute" keys, plus user definable convenience keys.
- 64 MB of memory
- Intel PXA901 processor at 312 MHz
- Quad-Band network support on 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/GPRS and EDGE networks allows for international roaming between North America, Europe and Asia Pacific
RC or remote controlled gadgets are always a great idea when it comes to gifts, especially now that Christmas time is coming. The Remote Controlled HoverCraft
is one of the newest gadgets we've added. Fortunately for us down-under, our holiday season is under the sun, so there are plenty of beautiful days ahead for outdoor recreation. Indoors are not exempt from the fun either. This RC gadget can be played with on almost all flat surfaces, thanks to its hover action. It's almost like the real thing. From grass to pavement, water to ice, the Remote Controlled HoverCraft easily glides over them like it was floating on air (because it is!). Fun times are ahead with this great new toy!Features of the Remote Controlled HoverCraft:
- True Hover-action
- Durable rubber air-bag for gliding across most surfaces
- For indoor and outdoor use
- Rechargeable battery includedOrder your Remote Controlled HoverCraft here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
It's exciting to think of all our options with the continual barrage of multimedia technological advancements we seem to be struck with each week. However with all the new digital still camera, video camcorder, mobile and pda models gracing us with their presence comes an increasing issue... the number of different storage devices they utilise. Who can keep up with the increasing array of memory cards
today's technology takes advantage of?? Shuttle
can with their... wait for it... Shuttle PC22 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader.
Yes that's right, 22 in 1 card reader!!
It's frustrating when you want to download, save or view photos, video or music files when you don't have the connecting equipment to extract the data. Shuttle's PC22 will ensure you are not stuck a
gain. It reads every type of memory card you can think of, from the more common SD and compact flash formats, to the less common mini SD cards. The drive slots into a 3.5 inch bay in your computer and comes with three different coloured face plates so that you don't alienate the appearance of your PC. Simply slot the card in and off you go! You're even able to transfer between two inserted cards at the one time, just like between you computer's hard disk
and an inserted flash drive
. Never will you have to worry again about compatibility. What a luxury!Features of the Shuttle PC22 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader:
* High Speed USB 2.0 interface
- up to 480Mb/sec
* Mass storage driver
* No additional drivers
needed under Windows 2000/XP or later
* Standard 3.5" drive bay installation
* 3 changeable color panels
- black, white and silver
* Active LED indicators
- power, read/write activity
* USB bus powered
- no external power required
* Supports direct card to card transfers
* Supports 22 card formats
: Compact Flash I (CF I), Compact Flash II (CF II), Compact Flash Ultra II, IBM Microdrive (MD), Smart Media Card (SM/SMC), Secure Digital card (SD), Mini Secure Digital (MiniSD), Secure Digital Ultra, Multi Media Card (MMC), MultiMediaCard II, High Speed MultiMediaCard (HS-MMC), Reduced Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC), TransFlash (TF), Memory Stick (MS), Memory Stick Pro (MSP), Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick MG Duo, Memory Stick MagicGate (MSMG), Memory Stick MG PRO, Memory Stick MG PRO Duo, High Speed Memory Stick (HSMS)Order you PC22 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader from Mr.Gadget Today!
Looks like Apple has influenced our friends at Blueant who now have a white X3 Micro Bluetooth Headsets
! Besides the new colour, it's the same award winning bluetooth headset that we have come to love.
The white Blueant X3 micro bluetooth headset
can be paired to 3 different Bluetooth devices and comes with multiple charging options including USB, wall and in car chargers. The Blueant X3 micro mobile bluetooth headset is a high quality full duplex Bluetooth headset backed by a 2 year hardware warranty. That's excellent value!Features of Blueant X3 Micro Bluetooth Mobile Headset:Talk and Standby Time
- 7 hours of Talk Time
- 180 hours Standby TimeMulti-Connect Call Switching Technology
- Pair three different devices to the headset and connect to any when requestedSleek Form Factor
- Tiny ergonomic design fits snuggly into ear 52 x 26 x 28mm
- Lightweight (13grams) and comfortable so you hardly notice you are wearing it.
- The Multi-Function Button provides simple control of the headset.
- LED lights can be switched off for night time driving.Bluetooth Technology
- Designed using the new Bluetooth v1.2 technology
- Supports Headset and Handsfree Profiles
- Works with a Bluetooth enabled computer for voice calls.Three Charging Options
- Plug into a PC / Mac's USB Port
- Plug into the Car charger
- Plug into an AC Charger
- All these options are provided in the box.Sound Quality
- High Quality Full Duplex HeadsetGet your White Blueant X3 Micro Bluetooth Headset here at Mr.Gadget Australia!
I must admit, I haven't been eating my carrots lately. All that Vitamin A and I'm stuck with lousy vision. Can't see what's in front of my eyes in the evenings and walking around at night is akin to playing dodgeball with wombats and other various forms of wildlife. I prefer broad daylight, thank you very much.
Well, with the Led Lenser V2 Power Chip Stainless Steel LED Torch
, it will have those savage pesky koalas and other furries scampering away with retina-searing
brightness. Who knows, it might even produce a "rabbit in the headlights" effect on certain bunnies, but I wouldn't know anything about that. The technology is amazing - who would've thought that the same basic LED tech on your clock radio would produce light that is quite frankly, blinding. All this without producing heat, ultraviolet light and using gas-filled bulbs, while producing great energy savings - meaning that one set of batteries would last much longer.
P.S. You can use it to annoy your neighbours too. But Mr.Gadget and I do not condone that sort of behaviour...LED Lenser V2 Power Chip Stainless steel LED torch
• Rugged, strong, corrosion resistant polished stainless steel casing.
• Gold-plated contacts
• Patented, strongly focusing axial reflector.
• High-performance super bright white 1.25W Power-Lightchip @ 40.6 Lumens
• Spring cap contains spare rubber switch.
• Serially numbered.
• Includes pouch and strap.
• Weather proof.
• Power supply: 3 x LR1 1.5 V included.
• Battery life up to 50 Hrs.Measurements:
• length: approx. 145mm
• head: approx. 28mm
• shaft: approx. 18mm
• weight with batteries approx. 165g
• LED Lenser's limited lifetime warranty.
• Comes packed in a handsome black giftbox.Order your Led Lenser V2 Power Chip Stainless Steel LED Torch from Mr.Gadget today!
In the words of Mick Dundee (aka Crocodile Dundee), "That's not a knife, this
is a knife." The Leatherman k502x Pocket Knife
certainly is the knife of knives. It's also the screwdriver of knives and the bottle opener of knives. It's not your typical multi-tool, it's more of a knife with added features. Carrying six different bit drivers, the k502x is a convenient tool for those critical moments where a screw needs to be fitted, adjusted or tightened. The 3.1" premium stainless steel blade is also tough enough to slice through the toughest surafaces. This is one converged device that needs no batteries!Features of the Leatherman k502x Pocket Knife with Leather Sheath:Bit Driver
Carry six screwdrivers in the space of two. Versatile bit drivers come with double-ended bits that quickly change to fit the demands of the day's work. Included are Phillips #1 and 2, 1/8" 3/16" and 1/4" width flathead, and #15 Torx. Additional accessory bits are available.Carabiner
Our patent-pending carabiner stays hidden until you need it, nesting with other components to save space. Then a simple thumb action is all that is required to hang your Leatherman knife on a backpack, rope or belt loop. Plus, it locks into place so attachment is easy.Bottle Opener
The carabiner is also designed to be the best bottle cap lifter we've ever offered. And since it easily rotates or slides out with one hand, you won't have to wait long to enjoy your reward for a day's work well done.Order your Leatherman k502x Pocket Knife with Leather Sheath here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
is probably the easiest way to improve the performance of your computer
. It simply involves you slotting some new RAM into your motherboard. That simple! However before we get too excited about performing some electronic surgery, we need to still consider a few things.
Firstly check whether your motherboard
is Dual Channel
or not. A lot of the new RAM today comes as a paired module set that is designed to utilise the dual channel technology on a lot of the modern motherboards. Performance will be considerably improved with this setup as opposed to using one memory stick. For example a 1GB paired, dual channel module set (two 512MD RAM modules) will perform a lot better than one 1GB RAM module on a dual channel motherboard.
Secondly you need to check whether your motherboard
is set up for DDR2
RAM. DDR2 is the newer memory, although DDR is still the market's dominant RAM format. DDR2 supports a higher bandwidth giving improved data transport speed. It is more expensive though. Also check the running frequency of the RAM. DDR500 RAM (500MHz) will run faster than DDR400 (400MHz). Don't worry if you accidentally mix different speed RAM, as you won't damage them. However your RAM setup will run at the slower RAM's speed.But do you choose to increase your computer's RAM or replace it all together?
If you have some DDR RAM installed already, you can simply add some more, given you have the memory slots to place them in. Generally motherboards have two to four slots. Physical space will be a determining factor as to what you do. To see a significant increase in your computer's performance you should at least double your RAM capacity
. In saying that though the general rule goes that you buy as much RAM as you can afford
. However keep in mind that Windows only recognises up to 2GB
. With the multitude of hungry Windows applications today, having plenty of RAM will no doubt boost your PC's operating capacity quite significantly, and reduce the need for you to practice patience!Order your RAM at Mr.Gadget today!
As much as I don't like to admit it, the whole world does not revolve around Apple and Apple products - not everyone has an iPod nor desires to have one. Which I do not understand. But each to his own, I suppose.
And with the fantastic iPod speaker products that Altec Lansing have been releasing, such as the inMotion
and the IM7s
, it's hard not to feel a little bit left out if you own something like an Archos Gmini 202
or a Creative Zen Micro. You want your own great-sounding, portable set of speakers, don't you?
Well, I may have the answer to all of you who feel a bit "uncatered" for. The Altec Lansing inMotion iM4 Portable Audio / Speaker System
is, in the tradition of the inMotion range, a fantastic set of speakers particularly suited to portable music devices. Using the same quality drivers and amplifiers as the rest of the range, you definitely are not getting an inferior Altec Lansing product. Using the same MaxxBass technology as the original inMotions, it provides a surprisingly deep bass and a retractable cable adds to the convenience of not having to carry another audio cable around.
Fantastic sound in a package so small? I like it. I like it a lot.Features of the Altec Lansing inMotion iM4 Portable Audio / Speaker System:
- Crystal-clear sound - from four custom-designed neodymium 25 mm Micro Drivers.
- Surprisingly deep bass - Revolutionary MaxxBass technology creates quality bass without a subwoofer
- Extra long battery life - Highly efficient Class D amplifier delivers more than 18 hours of continuous playback with four AA batteries (not included).
- Convenient Retractable Signal Cable - Provides clean cable management and connects to virtually any audio device, such as MP3 players, CD players, and laptops.
- Dual inputs - Allows you to connect two audio players at the same time (second cable not included).
- Rubberized Base - Provides a non-slip platform for your MP3 or CD players.
- Lightweight - Folds to close at 28 ounces and 10.25" wide, 5.3" deep and 1" high.Order your Altec Lansing inMotion iM4 Portable Audio / Speaker System from Mr.Gadget today!
Big boys like two different types of toys. Toys that make fire and toys that are sharp. The Leatherman e300 Pocket Knife
fits the bill of the latter. You'll find this pocket knife handy for when one is doing blokey things, such as fishing or when you find yourself in the shed hiding from doing chores. You won't believe how many tid bits you can find to cut in there. There are many other times where a cutting tool is needed, just can't think of one right now because they seem to just come up when you least expect. Be sure to have your Leatherman e300 pocket knife ready! One thing is certain when it comes to this pocket knife. You'll be assured that you are getting quality. It's a Leatherman after all.Features of the Leatherman e300 Pocket Knife:Blade Launcher
No springs required. A little Leatherman ingenuity and the flick of a finger are all that are needed to put the knife blade to work. Special materials help make the action smooth and easy, and the finger tab disappears into the handle once the blade is deployed. Nothing else on the market operates this simply or this well.
Our patent-pending carabiner stays hidden until you need it, nesting with other components to save space. Then a simple thumb action is all that is required to hang your Leatherman knife on a backpack, rope or belt loop. Plus, it locks into place so attachment is easy.
The carabiner is also designed to be the best bottle cap lifter we've ever offered. And since it easily rotates or slides out with one hand, you won't have to wait long to enjoy your reward for a day's work well done.Order your Leatherman e300 Pocket Knife here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
USB flash drives
have become a real luxury to those needing to store multiple files on a portable format. Gone are the days of carting around heaps of floppy disks or being frustrated at the lack of storage capacity. CD's are bulky and not as user friendly. It seems that USB drives have given us so much more flexibility and versatility when it comes to swapping and downloading files between computers. Whilst no one can argue against the obvious storage and convenience benefits of the USB drives, I have been disappointed with the structural design of so many of them. However I was immediately impressed the new innovations the Corsair Flash Voyager USB 2.0 Drive
have brought to the table.
Corsair are well known for their quality RAM
for computers, so it's pretty safe to say their flash drives will offer a similar degree of excellence. One obvious aspect that has really annoyed me with many flash drives is the poor key ring link. It is either too flimsy, small or difficult to utilise. I mean if we are going to carry these flash drives around with us, lets make it easy! I don't particularly want to have it living on a flimsy bit of rope around my neck or being at risk from braking free from my key ring! So when I saw the large, strong key ring link the Corsair Flash Voyager USB 2.0 Drive possessed, I was immediately encouraged! On top of that is it's toughened exterior and water-resistant features! We live in a tough world, so why not build our technology to cope with it! Better yet the Corsair Flash Voyager USB 2.0 Drive comes in a massive 2GB version! Far out, that's equivalent to 1388 floppy disks and almost 3 CD's worth of data! Incredible! Copying huge data files has never seemed so eas
y and safe.Put your name down for a Corsair Flash Voyager USB 2.0 Drive at Mr.Gadget Today!
Hot Stuff At LIVEdigitally
Check out new reviews at LIVEdigitally.com
1.) Solitude vs Bose - headset-o y headset-o
When I received an email titled “Solitude noise-canceling headset: better than Bose QuietComfort 2 headphones” I must admit, I was quite skeptical. I’ve loyally carried the distinctive Bose set with me on flights across the country and world for the past year now, and I was quite intrigued at the challenge. Especially from a company I’d never heard of before, and at a price point a full $100 cheaper than Bose.
The Solitude unit arrived, and as I opened the packaging and carrying case I knew the team at ProTravelGear.com had the right idea in mind
2.) ZyXEL AG225H: Pocket Wardriving
Wardriving is the practice of going around and finding open wireless networks. Folks often use a notebook, with an antenna on the roof of their car to meticulously map out the network. This ZyXEL device
promises to have this capability in the size of a Swiss Army knife. While there are several WiFi detectors out there, this device has the most ambitious feature set out there currently. Let’s look at what this new ZyXEL unit is capable of.
Being a former Systems Admin, I have been lucky enough to play around with all manner of Wireless Routers. Having used a few good ones and quite a few dud ones (no names!!), I think I've found one that stands out from the crowd. The Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX
is definitely one of the best I have used. It is so good, in fact we actually use it here at the Mr.Gadget offices. If it works well for Mr.Gadget, it would definitely work well for you!
Even though it doesn't work in 108Mbps mode, using my wireless adapter on my Powerbook, it is one of the fastest, best featured, and definitely most reliable wireless routers I have used. As most of you know, the speed of the wireless connection is mostly dependent on how strong the signal is. The extremely strong signal from the "Multiple In, Multiple Out" (MIMO) technology means that your wireless connection can run as close to full speed.
A couple of impressive things about the Linksys WRT54GX are its good security and the extremely detailed configuration options, which means that you can tweak the performance and/or troubleshoot the network. Its firewall log was especially handy when we were having Internet problems - we were able to determine that we had computers out there were trying to hack into us and causing our network problems. One call to the ISP and the problems were solved!Features of the Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX
- Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, with a built in speed and range enhanced Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point
- Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired, Wireless-G, -B, and other SRX devices
- New SRX technology: the farther away, the more advantage -- up to 8 times faster than standard Wireless-G (802.11g)
- SRX also increases wireless range by up to 3 times and reduces dead spots in coverage area
- Complies with 802.11g and 802.11b (2.4GHz) Standards
- Enhanced Internet Security Management Functions including DDoS and SPI
- All LAN Ports Support Auto-Crossover (MDI/MDI-X) - No Need for Crossover CablesOrder your Linksys WRT54GX Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX from Mr.Gadget today!
The Leatherman Crunch Multi-Tool
is another great gift idea for this Christmas. For the many generous women out there who love their husbands, this is the perfect tool for the handyman of the house. The main feature of the Leatherman Crunch Multi-Tool is its jaws of steel. Pocket knives eat your heart out. This one is a pocket pliers. And it's not one of those cheap weak metal pliers which snap on the first twist. The Crunch is made of 100% stainless steel, another great feature which defines the Leatherman range. But once all the bolts and pipes have been tightened, the Crunch comes out with a whole range of other tools. So make your hubby feel special, even useful with the Leatherman Crunch Multi-Tool.Features of the Leatherman Crunch Multi-Tool:
- Locking Pliers
- Wire Cutters
- Hard-Wire Cutters
- Serrated Knife
- Metal/Wood File
- Ruler (Inch/Metric)
- Bottle Opener
- Small Screwdriver
- Medium Screwdriver
- Large Screwdriver
- Phillips Screwdriver (#1/#2)
- Hex Bit Driver
- Wire Stripper
- Lanyard AttachmentOrder a Leatherman Crunch Multi-Tool for Christmas here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
The CompactDrive PD70X
is a fantastic product - a portable hard drive with slots for your memory cards (CF, SD, Memory Stick, etc.) so you can transfer things like pictures directly to the hard drive, giving you a virtually unlimited number of camera shots. And once you get home, you can use it as an external USB 2.0 hard drive for your backups and extra storage space. However, if you feel that the PD70X may be slightly too expensive, there is still the CompactDrive PD7X
. Would you believe it, the PD7X still provides almost the same functionality for 120 dollars cheaper!!
Yes, that's right, we are clearing out our remaining stock of PD7Xs at insane prices starting at $253.95
for 40GB, which I think is great value considering you get the following:Features of the CompactDrive PD7X 40GB with Car Charger:Powered by four AA batteries
Provides the ultimate battery convenience. Supports rechargeable NiMH (recommended) or alkaline AA cells. Carry spare batteries or buy Alkalines during emergencies.Built-in Battery Charger
The PD7X turns into an intelligent NiMH AA battery charger when connected to the mains via the provided AC adaptor. It takes approx. 9 hours to charge 4 pcs of 2500mAh batteries.Ultra Long Battery Life
Using the latest 2500mAh NiMH AA batteries, the PD7X is able to backup up to 35GB of data on a single charge.Stylish
Durable & lightweight aluminium casing with dust covers to protect the slots and PD7X from dust and hard knocks.Hi-Speed USB 2.0
PD7X can function as a high speed USB 2.0 portable hard disk as well as a 8-in-1 Memory Card Reader.Ultra Fast Transfer
Ultra Fast TransferCurrently one of the world's fastest portable storage device at 4~5MB/s. Backup a 1GB card in less than 4 mins!Memory Cards Supported by the CompactDrive PD7X 40GB with Car Charger:
- CF Type I/II
- MS PRO
- xD Picture Card
- SmartMedia requires an optional SM-to-CF adaptorOrder your CompactDrive PD7X from Mr.Gadget today!
Here's another one for you children of the 80's who grew up on MacGyver. The Leatherman Squirt P4 Multi-Tool
. Squirt because it's little and the "P" denoting Leatherman's pliers line. This multi-tool is really kind of neat. It's small, so is discreet but still holds all those features listed below. Speaking of which, most of the included features are probably ones which are frequently used. You'll find many multi-tools out there with a hack-saw, jig-saw, circular-saw, TV, microwave and other such features you don't really need in a multi-tool. The Squirt P4 has the essentials. All it leaves out is wireless internet connection and then it would be perfect. But we can't have our cake and eat it too now can we? Not yet anyway.Features of the Leatherman Squirt P4 Multi-Tool:
- Needlenose Pliers
- Straight Knife
- Wire Cutters
- Extra Small Screwdriver
- Medium Screwdriver
- Small Flat Phillips Screwdriver
- Single-Cut File
- Cross-Cut File
- Lanyard Attachment
- AwlOrder one for your loved one this Christmas, here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
is quite often overlooked when assessing the performance of the computer. It's what connects all your components together. It also determines the speed by which information travels. Think of it basically as a public transport 'bus system'. The larger and faster the buses, the more passengers that can travel at one time. If you choose to compromise on the motherboard, you will greatly sacrifice your computer's performance, bottlenecking any performance gain from powerful CPU's
and graphics cards
. That means you will lose out on enjoying the latest in gaming and multimedia technology the way it's meant to be experienced!
Choosing a motherboard can be tricky, but there are a couple of things you must pay special attention to. Firstly ensure you have the right CPU/motherboard combination
. For example, and AMD CPU will not go into an Intel motherboard. Broadly speaking, you have a choice of Intel
based motherboards. We also need to be sure we have the right CPU socket configuration
Secondly, always think of the future, ie upgradeable versatility
. One key point is to double check the motherboard will have the correct slot for fitting your graphics card
. The older motherboards are fitted with AGP (Advanced Graphics Port) slots, whilst the newer boards sport the PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) Express format. It would be wiser to go with the PCI express boards, given that's where the immediate future lies, not to mention the best performance!
One final point is to look at the added features
. Onboard cooling, maximal connectivity, eg number of USB ports and I/O (input/output) options, layout, and tweaking capabilities are all important when it comes to obtaining optimal performance and enjoyment. Onboard sound is pretty much standard, however for those wanting higher quality audio for 3D gaming and music reproduction, a sound card
is a must!
Although it can be intimidating and a little time consuming looking at your motherboard options, choosing a quality board will ensure you are able to obtain the most out of your PC and today's growing technological advancements!
Look at the Intel
motherboard options at Mr.Gadget Today!
Here's a neat idea for Christmas, a Mini Remote Controlled IR Battle Tank
! These tanks are ready to rumble. Equipped with infra-red technology, you can battle with a friend by launching virtual "projectiles" at each other's tanks through the rotary turret. Out manouver, out run and out gun the others. Get your friends in on the action and fight for each other's living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens and finally conquer the whole house!
Features of the Mini Remote Controlled IR Battle Tank:
- Includes tank, transmitter and charger. Buy two for IR battle!
- Integrating the cutting edge R/C & I/R technology
- 180 degrees rotary turret
- Frequency available:27 & 40 MHz
For a great Christmas idea, order your Mni Remote Controlled IR Battle Tank here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
Sometimes a laptop backpack, such as the Booq 2006 Boa
, no matter how good it is, just won't do when you're trying to impress the CEO of the big corporation you're trying to snare a deal with.
I think I have found the ultimate in Professional Laptop bags. The Booq Cobra.XM Laptop Bag for 15 inch Laptops
is possibly the King Of All Laptop Bags. It provides the ultimate in protection for your laptop and provides the best in storage for all your odds and ends. It actually reminds me of a suitcase, which is actually quite appropriate as it is most suited for the more upwardly mobile Gadgeteers. The laptop is placed inside a separate sleeve (similar to the Booq Vyper M
) which fits snugly in the main compartment of the metal-framed Cobra.XM, providing dual protection, almost guaranteeing that your laptop will never
get damaged. Should there not be enough room for your other items, such as PDA, iPod and documents, the Cobra.XM's accessory pocket even expands by around 3.5cm so even the most disorganised of us can fit everything!Features of the Booq Cobra.XM Laptop Bag for 15 inch Laptops
- Sized for 15" laptops, 15" Powerbook & 14" iBook
- Protected & padded accessory pockets for disks, books, documents etc.
- Hard core laptop frame construction with 0.75" HD foam padding and non-scratch lining
- Removable laptop sleeve with carrying handle and D-rings for shoulder strap attachment and 0.5" padding
- Made from tough and weather-resistant 1682D ballistic nylon
- Various pockets for iPod, cell phone & other accessories
- 1.5" expandable back pocket, trolley-compatible (pass-through on back side) Order your Booq Cobra.XM Laptop Bag for 15 inch Laptops from Mr.Gadget today!
The Central Processing Unit
or CPU is the heart of the computer. No point upgrading to a more powerful graphics card
if you don't have the CPU capabilities to utilise it. Although installing RAM
is an easy way of speeding things up, the CPU will continue to be a bottleneck for you if not attended to over time.
Basically there's a choice of the more commonly known Intel
chips, or the increasingly popular AMD
processors. Although AMD have been producing CPU's almost as long as Intel surprisingly enough, they really only gained attention in 1999 with their Athlon series
. Since then AMD have grown in popularity due to their power delivery at a cheaper cost then their direct competitor. However the cost gap has narrowed in recent times. Generally speaking the AMD chips are more powerful for extreme applications such as gaming. This is backed up by more tweaked features generally found on their motherboards
. A good example of this is that the AMD chips are usually able to be overclocked easier than their Intel counterparts.
Intel have had more market experience and have prided themselves on producing more stable CPU's. This was a concern with the AMD chips of the past, coupled with their more difficult fan setup and consequent heating problems. However these days, AMD setups are quite easy and stable, not being as prone to overheating. Intel chips are often found in multimedia setups, such as the ever popularising movie or media boxes.
At the end of the day there is not much in it, however the latest reviews that I have read suggest the AMD dual core chips
(the future of CPU technology) seem to have the upper hand. Usually other component factors will help make up your mind, such as motherboard features. We'll look at the motherboard tomorrow!See the CPU product range at Mr.Gadget today!
For those of us who think that the iPod nano Silicon Cases
don't provide enough protection for their precious easily-scratchable iPod nano, then do we have the solution for you. Our long-awaited iPod Nano Crystal Case
provides the ultimate, and i mean ultimate
protection for your iPod nano, made of the same sort of material as bulletproof glass, although much thinner and lighter. So while it may not stop a bullet (you never know, it might come in handy), at least you know the iPod Nano Crystal Case will provide only the best, shatterproof and durable protection for your precious iPod nano. The precious.Features of the iPod Nano Crystal Case:
- Clear plastic crystal case for your iPod Nano.
- Extremly tough, durable and will keep your iPod on display while protecting it from everyday wear & tear.
- Cut-away sections give full access to all of your Apple iPod Nano's controls & ports
- Shock absorbent.
- Made from scratch resistant polycarbonate plastic.
- iPod Nano fits securely into the case.Order your iPod Nano Crystal Case from Mr.Gadget today!
At the impressionable age of seven, I wanted to become an American Airforce fighter pilot after watching Top Gun for the first time. Flying at ridiculous speeds, doing aerial acrobatics, dog fighting with the enemy, all on a million dollar tax payer funded jet. Then I grew up, became the
tax payer and only ever got to fly on
a plane, be it a jumbo jet.
But do not lose hope, fellow jet fighter pilot wannabe friend. The Remote Controlled B3 Bomber
let's you fly a B3 Bomber from the cockpit of a remote control. The Remote Controlled B3 Bomber has a wingspan of over half a meter and measures at a foot in length. It comes with a remote control and a 4.8V rechargeable battery so when you run out of juice from all that flying, all you have to do is recharge. With the Remote Controlled B3 Bomber, you can be my wingman anytime!Features of the Remote Controlled B3 Bomber:
- Wingspan: 605mm
- Length: 300mm
- 4.8V rechargeable battery provides approx. 10 minutes flying timeOrder your Remote Controlled B3 Bomber in time for Christmas here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
Before we look at improving our computer
, we need to determine whether we should/can upgrade, or whether a new computer is on the cards. There are many factors that could affect your decision, but we will just go over a few that may help in determining which path you may need to travel:
1) If you bought your computer pre 2000 and haven't touched it since, odds are very good that you will need to buy a new PC. Five years in PC world is a long time, and with the development of technology, the headaches you will get from whether new components will be compatible with old ones are just not worth it. Good thing to remember is that generally speaking your computer will only run as fast as its weakest link.
2) If you have a desktop case
that sits under your PC as opposed to the conventional tower that sits on the floor, upgrading could be an issue. The internal structure of some of these cases is quite different, especially if you have a major chain computer like Dell or Compaq. Towers
tend to be more user-friendly and have more space when it comes to upgrading than the non-standard desktop options. If your PC was built after 1999, it will conform to the ATX standard (current case and motherboard standard), meaning you will be able to move your old components into any new case.
3) Popular upgrading options usually centre on the CPU
, Graphics Card
, given their obvious large bearing on the performance of the computer. Caution must be taken though. Only certain CPU's (AMD and Intel) and graphics cards (AGP or PCI Express) will fit certain motherboards. PCI Express
is where the newer graphics cards are headed. It would seem silly to buy a AGP motherboard now if you are looking to hold onto it for any length of time, not to mention exploit the latest technology. Memory is changing from DDR to DDR2
and there's dual channel and single channel RAM. As can be seen, motherboard selection is crucial!
4) If your Hard Drive
is over 4 years old, we strongly suggest changing it. There's too much at stake with losing data to a burnt out hard drive, especially when the cost of new drives have dropped significantly! We'll have a look which hard drives are best for you later on.
5) It's a pity that the components that are most likely to last the longest and give you least headaches are the cheaper ones: DVD and CD-ROMS
, Power Supplies
and Sound Cards
. Of course we need to ask ourselves what our new computer is being used for which will help determine whether these components need addressing. More on that later. And let's not forget the floppy drives
, which haven't really evolved in ten years!
That's just a brief look at some of the possibilities in addressing your aging computer. We will go over in more detail each component and whether or not surgery is required on your bucket of bolts!Visit the Computer/PC Parts Product Page Today!
Due later on this month is HobbyZone's new Firebird Freedom
. With the HobbyZone Firebird Freedom, newer pilots can learn how to fly a 3-channel plane without the fear of crashing, especially with Anti-Crash Technology built in. That's right, the plane detects how far it is from the ground and adjusts itself accordingly. I wish I had this technology when I started to fly! Oh well.
With this plane come many exciting firsts for HobbyZone, which raise the bar for teach-yourself-to-fly, ready-to-fly RC planes:
- A 3-channel radio system in a Zone 1 airplane;
- Anti-Crash Technology in a 3-channel airplane;
- A 2-piece, mid-set, swept, plug-in wing; and
- Rigid, steel wire pushrods to more precisely manipulate the control surfaces.
As with all HobbyZone planes, the Firebird Freedom
comes with all the benefits you
have come to expect and everything that's needed to get in the air, including:
- A fully proportional 3-channel FM radio system;
- Batteries for the transmitter;
- A rechargeable Ni-MH battery pack; and
- A variable rate DC peak charger.Features of the HobbyZone Firebird Freedom:
- Revolutionary Anti-Crash Technology, exclusive to HobbyZone, which actively monitors the plane's orientation, as it relates to the ground and sky, and cuts the motor, in tandem with giving neutral steering and up elevator, if the plane enters a steep dive. This causes the plane to come out of the dive so the user can regain control. Once pilots gain experience flying, they can increase maneuverability and overall control by turning ACT off via the switch on the transmitter
- A 3-channel radio system that makes it easier for pilots who are new to RC to teach themselves how to fly with a 3-channel airplane, thanks to ACT. Additionally, the third channel allows for pitch control so that pilots can make tighter turns and have a wider range of maneuvers, as well as the option to make pitch trim adjustments while the plane is in the air
- A one-box purchase, which means that everything that's needed to get flying comes in the box
- A ready-to-fly design that allows users to get in the air quickly after simply attaching the wing pieces and landing gear, and installing the rechargeable 7-cell 8.4V 900mAh Ni-MH battery pack
- A two-piece, plug-in wing that provides better handling in the wind, smoother flight, easier transportation, and a sleek, swept-wing design
- X-Port technology that allows pilots to use exciting plug-in accessories, such as the Sonic Combat Module to dog fight with other X-Port-equipped planes, the Aerial Drop Module to drop bombs or a parachutist, or the Night Flight Module to fly at night after they've become more experienced
- A powerful 480 motor that permits users to have great climb rate and power while flying their Firebird Freedom
- Durable, steel wire pushrods for more precise and consistent control
- A detailed instruction manual and video CD that instruct pilots on the proper techniques and steps that need to be taken to get their Firebird Freedom in the air and flying safely
- A 1.2 amp variable rate DC peak charger, with LED indicator and trickle charge
- A soft, resilient rubber nose that cushions the force of impact and decreases damage if the pilot has a hard landing
- Because ACT knows how the plane is oriented, HobbyZone's engineers can give the pilot more responsive controls, while also providing at the same time, better protection than previous systems.Get your HobbyZone Firebird Freedom here at Mr.Gadget!
I've taken on the school of thought that a great Christmas present should be something that someone wants but not necessarily needs. A toy, something to play with and it has to have the "cool" factor. Something that makes one say, "cool"
, when they see it. The Ledlenser Blue Earth / 7 Colour LED Glass Globe
definitely has the "cool" factor. Gone are the days of the plastic blow-up Earth globes that bounced around in your bedroom. If you're looking for a cool present this Christmas, don't pass this one by. You know how it feels to receive a pair of socks or a neck tie every
Christmas. Make this Christmas different. Make it special!Features of the Ledlenser Blue Earth / 7 Colour LED Glass Globe:
- elegantly designed blue glass earth globe
- no batteries required as it powered by an AC adapter
- cycles through 7 different colours
- makes a excellent gift even for the very fussyOrder your Ledlenser Blue Earth / 7 Colour LED Glass Globe for Christmas here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
Booq make good products. Even Mr.Gadget agrees with me. He went to me the other day, "Homer, you should put up the whole Booq range on the website" and I just simply sat there and nodded. "Yes sir," I replied and I went about trying to expand our Booq range because Mr.Gadget has every right to believe in them. Well, everyone's familiar with the Booq Vyper
range of Laptop Sleeves, but now Booq have upgraded that line with the Booq Powersleeve 90 Series
Available in Powersleeve S90 for 12 inch laptops
, Powersleeve L90 for 14/15 inch laptops
and Powersleeve XL90 for 17 inch laptops
, besides offering the same awesome clamshell protection as the Vypers, it comes with new features, such as a carry strap, bag handle and extra pockets, while remaining extremely lightweight and compact, thus still retaining the ability to fit into another bag or backpack as the Vyper did so well.
For those who dislike the chunky backpacks or drab-looking laptop cases and want something that is light and doesn't get in the way, the Booq Powersleeve 90 Series just may be the thing for you!Features of the Booq PowerSleeve 90 Series Laptop Sleeves
- Compact, lightweight carrying case for short trips and meetings
- Rugged ballistic nylon exterior, soft non-scratch interior lining
- 1/2" high-density foam padding protects your laptop
- Removable, adjustable seatbelt-nylon shoulder strap with contoured shoulder pad
- Various pockets for small items such as power adapter, cell phone, mouse etc.
- Internal divider for a magazine or two, a folder or some meeting documents
- Adds laptop protection to any other bag or backpack
Order your Powersleeve S90 for 12 inch laptops
, Powersleeve L90 for 14/15 inch laptops
or Powersleeve XL90 for 17 inch laptops
from Mr.Gadget today!
With Christmas coming up, the thought of attending to your aging and superseded personal computer
may have crossed your mind. However there is the question we have to ask: Would it be cheaper to upgrade or buy a whole new computer?
From personal experience if you don't choose wisely, you can see your expenses and stress levels elevate very quickly. And before you know it, salt is rubbed into your raw wounds when you realise you have to upgrade again... or so you are told!
With the increasing processing requirements of software these days, and the seemingly endless multimedia options available to us, it's inevitable that we will have to boost our PC performance if we are to enjoy today's technology the way it's meant to be. We can address this issue a number of ways. It may only require a new graphics card
, or some extra RAM. However with the newer PCI Express graphics cards
and DDR2 RAM
, we need to be careful we have an adequate motherboard
to fit them to. If you find that a little tricky, try upgrading the CPU
(Central Processing Unit). Motherboard compatibility is essential here. OK then, which motherboard do you choose... which options should you look for?? Do you use onboard audio or get a dedicated sound card
? What about the hard drive
? Last thing we want is to lose all our important data files and photos due to an old hard drive deciding to hang up the boots!
With the addition of more components, a new power supply unit
may be a good idea, not to mention cooling options
to keep your computer running at an optimal temperature to preserve your new hardware and obtain peak performance. Once you have all your parts together, you may discover to your horror that they don't fit into your current case
! Stuff it... just get a new computer altogether!!! Am I painting a depressing picture for you yet? Do you relate?
The fact is there is always going to be unexpected problems when dealing with
PC's. However the process of upgrading or deciding whether to buy a new computer or not doesn't have to be as complex as we often make it. Over the next couple of weeks leading up to Christmas, we will be going over the process of upgrading your computer; what each component's primary function is and whether you may need to update it or not. Hopefully this will help you in determining which new components you may need and whether or not you need a new computer all together!Visit Computer / PC Parts at Mr.Gadget Australia.
CoPilot 6 GPS released
If you liked Travroute's CoPilot Version 5 Live, just wait till you see what's in store with CoPilot Live 6
which has just been released overseas. I suspect it'll still be a good couple of months till we see it here down under...CoPilot Live 6 highlights:
- Supports Windows Mobile 5 devices
- New adjustable trip calculation and user profiles to avoid or favour specific road types
- Simple, intuitive user interface. All Pocket PC functions and options can be accessed via finger-touch menus
- Enhanced 3D map display with distance-to-turn indicators, scrolling map, and turn arrow that highlights the way ahead.
- Support for multiple voices and 'hot-swappable' voices. Additional voices will be made available as a download.
- Easier Points of Interest Importing and support for widely available 3rd party formats.
- Real-time traffic-ready. CoPilot Live 6 supports both TMC and GPRS Traffic information. Traffic availability and cost varies according to region and retailer.
- Clearer directions through enhanced turn and Motorway exit instructions
- Support for Windows Mobile 5, VGA screens, Landscape mode and square screens.
- 1GB Plug and Drive map upgrade cards pre-loaded with complete, seamless European or USA maps available
- Enhanced Live Tracking and Internet messaging service with simplified set-up. Multi-vehicle tracking and fleet reporting available as an upgrade.
- Automatic Bluetooth GPS set-up avoids the need for complex configuration.
- Discounts for existing customer map upgrades and version upgrades
From what I've read, the feature that I'm most anticipating are the new finger sized buttons
for data input. A must for people using this on the road!
For a more detailed information on CoPilot Version 6 Live
check out MS Mobile News
It seems to me that Voice Over IP (VoIP) is the next new "killer" application. The lure of being able to contact friends and family overseas for the cost of a local phone call, without incurring huge phone bills just sounds too good to be true. But it's here my friends, and let me tell you, it is an awesome
I use my Blueant X3 Micro Bluetooth headset
all the time, doing voice chats with my friends in California, USA. I don't usually make long-distance telephone calls, but using VoIP to communicate is an eerie kind of feeling - it makes them seem so much closer to me than they really are. Even when they're using dial-up, VoIP is definitely of a high enough quality to do long-distance telephone calls while only paying for a local call, or none at all if you're on broadband.
However, there is a cheaper and better-quality alternative to using a Bluetooth headset, especially if your computer doesn't support Bluetooth. The Laser VoIP Station with 6 Port USB Hub
connects to your computer using USB, provides 6 USB ports and has plugs to connect a headset and microphone. If you're subscribed to a VoIP-to-landline service, there is also a keypad to make dialling people much easier.
The built-in audio chip in the VoIP Station means that your computer's soundcard can be freed up to do other things, such as playing music or processing game sound effects.
Yes, you can use VoIP to communicate to your fellow online gamers! Now you can team up with your friends for strategy or role-play games - or "vent" your frustration at them when you get your butt fragged!Features of the Laser VoIP Station with 6 Port USB Hub:
• Compatible with Skype and other VoIP programs
• Long-distance calls at local rates
• Selectable dual audio outputs, instantly switch from speaker to headset
• Enjoy private usage through headset and Conferencing through speaker and microphone
• Clean desk environment with VoIP Station multi-functionally - 6 Port USB V2 Hub + Phone Dial Pad + Audio Switch
• Plug and play USB connectivity to USB devices such as USB PC Camera, MP3 player, Pen Drives, USB Bluetooth dongle and much more
• Headset, USB cable and driver CD includedOrder your Laser VoIP Station with 6 Port USB Hub from Mr.Gadget today!
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 Review
Everything USB did a review on the Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. The USB-only Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 does away with the unsightly beige coloring of its predecessors, favoring a sleek black design with silver edges and media keys. Nearly all of the corners are now rounded, including the edges of the 6 and 7 keys and those keys on the leftmost and rightmost sides of the keyboard to present an aesthetically pleasing and modernized look.
The wrist rest is literally built onto the keyboard and is not removable, but there's nothing to complain about it. Why? Its Leatherette cushioning is friggin' comfortable, by far the best wrist rest I've laid palms on. Read on to find out the rest about the ergonomic keyboard
Those who give PowerPoint presentations know that properly engaging the audience is essential to maintaining their attention. There's nothing worse than the speaker keeping their head buried in their notes or computer, worrying about pressing the space bar to proceed to the next dot point or slide - people will need a Red Bull to save them from the embarrassment of falling alseep! Well the Logitech Cordless 2.4GHZ Presenter
does a great job in freeing you up and allowing you to do what you are meant to - talk TO the audience.
I used the Logitech Cordless 2.4GHZ Presenter for a presentation last night and was very impressed with its simplicity and functionality. It fits comfortably in the hand and its button placement ensures you can easily navigate its functions with a minimum of fuss. You can scroll back and forth between dot points and slides at the press of a button, as well as black out the screen when you want to reduce audience distraction... if you don't mind having all attention on you that is!
The Logitech Cordless 2.4GHZ Presenter has an integrated volume control, timer and laser pointer to aid your slide explanations. A 2.4GHz receiver that plugs into a USB port, enables you to use the device up to 50feet away from the computer, giving you complete freedom. Once you've finished with it, the receiver plugs neatly back into the presenter for you to pack away. When the time comes for your next spiel, simply unplug the receiver, plug it into the USB port and you're ready to go again! With this amount of control, flexibility and functionality get set to captivate your audience!Features of the Logitech Cordless 2.4GHZ Presenter:
* LCD timer: Easy-set LCD timer gives automatic, inaudible warnings at 5 and 2 minutes remaining.
* Intuitive controls: Launch/End slideshow, Slide Forward, Slide Back, Black screen, Volume control
* Integrated Laser Pointer
* Storable 2.4GHz wireless receiver: Extended 50-foot range lets you move around with confidence.
* Total Power Management: Battery life of up to six months, LCD battery status indicator, Convenient On/Off switch for total control
* Travels anywhere: Includes a storable receiver and carrying case.
* Plug and Play: No software is required for your Windows-based PC - just plug it in and start enjoying mobile freedom for your presentations.Order your Logitech Cordless 2.4GHZ Presenter at Mr.Gadget Today!
So you know someone who's a bit of an outdoors person, or maybe you're one yourself. Long hikes, dug-out toilets, big insects and no internet. The Leatherman Squirt S4 Multi-Tool
is small enough to fit in a pocket without weighing you down, yet has all the necessary features to get you through the Amazon, or maybe the Dandenongs or Blue Mountains. It may not be enough to cut down a tree or even a branch to make that Tarzan-like tree house but it's definitely enough to get you by a weekend or week-long stay in the bush.Features of the Leatherman Squirt S4 Multi-Tool:
- Straight Knife
- Extra-Small Screwdriver
- Medium Screwdriver
- Small Flat Phillips Screwdriver
- Nail File/Cleaner
- Lanyard Attachment
- RulerOrder your Leatherman Squirt S4 Multi-Tool for Christmas, here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
Aren't LCD monitors a wonderful thing? Here we were, struggling with monitors that were huge, bulky at 14", 15" or even 17" if we're lucky. But due to the leaps and bounds in LCD technology, almost every single new computer that is sold nowadays comes with an LCD monitor - 17", 19" and for those lucky Apple guys, 30"!!!! But then again, at almost 4 grand, I envy anyone who has a 30" Cinema Display.
Anyway, since everyone here at Mr.Gadget has some form of LCD screen, as with any equipment in an office, they tend to gather dust. Also, with the swathe of drool-worthy LCD monitors that Stu has been putting up at Mr.Gadget lately, what better solution to get rid of dust and clean your LCD screen than the Laser LCD Screen Cleaning Kit
? Stu and I bought one for ourselves and we've been extremely impressed by the results of this cleaning kit - no more scratches from tissue paper (non-scratch cloth included) and no more dust!Suitable for:
- Plasma Screens
- DV Camcorders
- Sunglasses/ eye glasses
- CamerasLaser LCD Screen Cleaning Kit Package includes:
- Cleaning solution, micro fibre cloth, dusting brush and carrier pouchOrder your Laser LCD Screen Cleaning Kit from Mr.Gadget today!
From Everything USB
: There's a nifty software called USB@nywhere
that lets you share USB devices on the Internet. You basically only need to install 'Device workstation' on the PC with the USB devices you want to share, and 'Remote workstation' on the PCs where you want to access the remote USB hardware. Then you can start using the remote USB devices across the Internet or W/LAN. According to Intellidriver, you can find the USB devices in Device manager; supposedly, the company did a good job emulating the USB stack.
The computer's power supply unit may not be regarded as the most 'glamorous' component, however if you want to look after your PC's circuitry and long-term health, the PSU has a crucial part to play. For those building a gaming or high end computer, having a 'clean' and high quality PSU is even more critical. Not only do you want plenty of clean power, but you want to ensure the noise and PC internal temperature levels remain to a minimum. The Antec TrueControl 2.0 550W ATX Power Supply with Fan Speed Controller
has done a great job in addressing all these issues.
Equipped with a massive 550W of power, the Antec TrueControl 2.0 550W ATX Power Supply has plenty under the bonnet to drive any power-hungry computer. This is especially true with PCs equipped with power draining graphics cards in SLI mode - the Antec TrueControl 2.0 550W ATX Power Supply simply delivers without a hiccup. Its power cords are plenty long enough to reach all components and it has a 24pin ATX12V power adapter with 4pin detachable ensuring maximal motherboard compatibility. The PSU is cooled by a 120mm fan which only generates a noise level of around 21dB. On top of its quiet noise levels, the Antec TrueControl 2.0 550W ATX Power Supply comes with a fan control unit that slots into a 5.25" drive bay. With its blue LED backlit interface, the unit enables you to control fan speed and therefore noise, as well as add a level of coolness to your computer's appearance!
If you're a gamer or PC enthusiast, you can not afford to skip corners with the PSU, otherwise you run the risk of allowing your more expensive components being damaged.Features of the Antec TrueControl 2.0 550W ATX Power Supply with Fan Speed Controller:
* SLI Ready
* Single 120mm low noise fan
* User-adjustable, individual dedicated circuits for +3.3V, +5V and +12V outputs. Get all the power you need when you need it most, and adjust it to your system’s needs.
* Dual 12V outputs, for stability and safety
* True Spec noise level of 21.3 dBA measured at an independent lab using ISO 7779 standard
* ATX12V 2.01 compliant. 24-pin main power connector with detachable 4-pin section for universal motherboard compatibility
* 4 Serial ATA connectors
* PCI Express graphic card power connectors
* Dedicated output for more stability and less ripple noise
* Feedback circuits for tighter load regulation (±3%) to maintain accurate voltage to all components
* Industrial-grade protection circuitry prevents damage resulting from short circuits, power overloads, excessive current, excessive voltage , excessive temperatures
* Fan Only power connectors allow True Power to control case fan speeds, reducing total system noise
* MTBF: 80,000 hours
* Safety approval: CB, DEMKO, FCC Class B, FIMKO, EMKO, UL, VDE, TUV
* Active Power Factor Correction (PFC) (Europe only)
* Power Factor value greater than 90% (Europe only)
* Gold plated connectors for superior conductivityOrder your Antec TrueControl 2.0 550W ATX Power Supply with Fan Speed Controller at Mr.Gadget Today!
One of the biggest "No, No's" of driving in Australia is driving while talking on the mobile phone, punishable by hefty fines and only surpassed in extremity by drink driving and speeding. The laws regarding mobile phone use and driving are none too helpful either being too unclear and too unknown by people. The only alternatives we have is either to turn the phone off while driving, or use a handsfree system. The Nokia HS-26W Wireless Bluetooth Headset
is but one of many wireless handsfree options. It has all the features you would expect on a bluetooth headset, volume control, answer/end button, switchable ear clip and has a decent talk and standby times. So unless you plan on doing driving and talking for five hours straight, the Nokia HS-26W will have you driving on the right side of the law safely.Features of the Nokia HS-26W Wireless Bluetooth Headset:
- Classic style with Bluetooth wireless technology
- Elastic earhook fits comfortably over either ear
- Convenient, large answer/end button
- Handy volume control - adjust audio levels easily from the headset
- Controls: answer/end call, redial, activate voice dial, mute, volume control, switch between phone and handsfree modes
- Choose between two colors: black and white
- Up to 5 hours of talk time and up to 150 hours standbyOrder your Nokia HS-26W Wireless Bluetooth Headset here at Mr.Gadget Australia today!
For those of you who spent quite a lot of time in the car, especially for work, a proper handsfree car kit is a wise investment. In these cases, a Bluetooth headset just won't do - it can get rather inconvenient having to constantly recharge the headset if you spend a lot of time on the phone while on the move.
Back in the day, handsfree car kits were extremely expensive, proprietary products where a particular car kit will only work with a particular phone. When it came time to upgrade the phone, you had to either buy a phone that was compatible or shell out the dosh for a totally new car kit!
Well, now you don't have to worry about your car kit when upgrading your phone. The Blueant Talkpad Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit
uses the Bluetooth standard, and thus will work with any Bluetooth-enabled phone. And since it doesn't require you to drill holes or make any modifications to your car, when you get a new car, you can simply transfer the Talkpad over without too much hassle.
Because it uses Bluetooth, it means that you can leave your phone in your pocket, or place it on a mount anywhere in the car, and the Talkpad will answer all your phone calls for you. It's like magic!Features of the Blueant Talkpad Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit
- Automatically connects to your mobile phone when you are powered and within range (10m) using Bluetooth technology.
- Send and receive calls without picking up the phone.
- Talk on the phone without any restrictions allowing you to drive safely.
- Radio Mute turns your radio off on receiving a call.
- Can be installed with constant power as well as separate ignition acc sensor power.
- Full Duplex.
- 12-24 Volts for use in all Australian vehicles including passenger cars, trucks and busesOrder your Blueant Talkpad Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit from Mr.Gadget today!
Site contents, design and structure are ©Copyright 2003-2023 by MRGADGET.COM.AU PTY LTD, all rights reserved.